Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Hundreds of children feared snatched in South Sudan

02 March 2015, 09:21

Nairobi - Unicef, the UN children's agency, said on Sunday it feared that hundreds of boys were kidnapped last month in the northeast of South Sudan, raising suspicions that the abductors were from a pro-government militia.

Unicef estimated last week that 89 boys, some as young as 13, were abducted by an armed group in Wau Shilluk, a riverside town in government-held territory within oil-rich Upper Nile state.

"The organisation now believes the number of children may be in the hundreds," Unicef said in a statement.

It added that the suspected kidnappers were from a "militia... aligned with the government's SPLA forces."

Civil war

Witnesses to the mass abduction on 15 and 16 February said that unidentified armed soldiers had surrounded the community and went house to house taking away by force any boys thought to be over the age of 12.

"The recruitment and use of children by armed forces destroys families and communities," Jonathan Veitch, the head of Unicef in South Sudan, said when the kidnappings were first reported.

Also read: UNICEF: 89 boys abducted by South Sudan armed group

Unicef estimates there are at least 12 000 children used by both sides in South Sudan's ongoing civil war.

South Sudan plunged into violence in December 2013 when fighting erupted between forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and rebels led by his rival, former vice president Riek Machar.

Each side has accused the other of forcibly recruiting child soldiers.

Militia chief

The president's spokesperson Ateny Wek Ateny had strongly condemned last month's kidnappings, saying: "The government of South Sudan will not tolerate the use of our children for violence."

"This is the equivalent to the Boko Haram of South Sudan," he said, referring to the Islamist extremist group behind an insurgency in northern Nigeria that has abducted boys and girls.

But after two weeks of inquiries, Unicef said it believed that government-aligned militia chief Johnson Olony, who controls the area and has been accused in the past by Human Rights Watch of using child soldiers, was responsible for the kidnappings.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...