Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Hundreds flee Nigerian villages after Boko Haram warning

20 January 2015, 18:10

Kano - Hundreds of people from four villages near the Nigerian town of Baga have been forced to flee their homes after a warning from Boko Haram militants, witnesses and community leaders said Tuesday.

Residents of Kekenu, Budur, Yoyo and Mile 90 villages, some 40 kilometres (25 miles) from the fishing town of Baga in Borno State, fled after a visit from the Islamists on Monday.

"These four villages are all empty as at yesterday (Monday) because Boko Haram gunmen went there and asked people to leave or else," said Abubakar Gamandi, head of the Borno fishermen's union.

Rebel fighters attacked Baga on January 3, looting and burning down homes and businesses in the town and at least 16 surrounding settlements on the shores of Lake chad.

Hundreds of people, if not more, are feared to have been killed, although there is no official confirmation of the toll as Boko Haram was still in control of the area.

Gamandi, who hails from Baga and now stays in the Borno State capital Maiduguri, said he received the information from villagers who fled to the city.

One women who fled Baga to Maiduguri on Monday confirmed that she joined the crowds fleeing the four villages.

"When we came to Mile 90, we found it almost empty with some remaining residents staying behind to pick up personal belongings," said Ma'agana Butari.

"We also met Budur, Kekenu and Yoyo deserted and we caught up with some of the residents moving towards Monguno," the 32-year-old mother of five said by telephone from Maiduguri.

Security analysts have said that with the takeover of Baga, Boko Haram is better placed to advance southwards towards Maiduguri for a possible attack.

The group was founded there in 2002 but was driven from the city in 2013 after the declaration of a state of emergency in Borno and two neighbouring states.

The flight from the villages indicated that the group was now heading towards Monguno, 65 kilometres from Baga, where thousands of people have taken refuge.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...