Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Gunmen kill eight in northern Nigeria attack

10 April 2014, 08:14

Kano - Scores of gunmen attacked a police station, a court and a bank in northern Nigeria on Wednesday, killing seven officers and a civilian, a police chief told AFP.

The raid in the town of Gwaram in Jigawa state began at 1:00 am (0000 GMT) and sparked an hours-long shootout with the security forces, said Tamari Yabo, the assistant inspector-general of police in charge of the region.

Boko Haram militants, waging a brutal insurgency which has killed thousands since 2009, have carried out dozens of attacks in surrounding areas, but Jigawa itself has been spared much of the violence.

"We lost seven policeman. One civilian was also killed," Yabo said of the fighting roughly 100 kilometres (60 miles) from Jigawa's capital Dutse.

He told AFP the insurgents came on motorcycles and stolen vehicles, specifically targeting the town's main police station as well as a bank and a court that enforces Islamic law, or sharia.

"The attack resulted in an hours-long shootout with our men but they were out-gunned and out-numbered by the terrorists," Yabo said. Security personnel typically use the word "terrorist" when discussing Boko Haram.

Jigawa shares a border with Yobe, a Boko Haram stronghold and one of three northeastern states that has been under emergency rule since May of last year.

The military is launching a major offensive in the region to crush Boko Haram's uprising, which the insurgents say is aimed at creating a strict Islamic state in northern Nigeria.

Violence in the region has already killed some 1,500 people this year.

Senior military officials have insisted that Boko Haram fighters have been flushed out of their traditional strongholds in parts of Yobe and Borno state.

It is possible that some Islamists have fled to Jigawa to evade military pressure as the state is not covered by the emergency rule and therefore has a relatively light deployment of security personnel.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...