Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Guinea replaces interior minister

28 May 2013, 18:04

Conakry - President Alpha Conde has replaced his security minister with a career policeman, Guinea state television said, to tackle sustained unrest over the preparation of a legislative election the opposition fears will be rigged.

Opposition street protests began in March over the plan to proceed with the June 30 vote. Police have killed 12 protesters since Thursday and more than 50 overall in turmoil testing investor confidence in the world's largest bauxite exporter.

A senior police source said Conde had dismissed Security Minister Mouramany Cisse in the face of worsening violence in opposition districts of Conakry, the coastal capital.

He will be replaced by Madifing Diane, a career policeman currently serving as Guinean ambassador to Senegal, state television said late on Monday.

Since protests resumed on Thursday, hundreds of policemen have been deployed to neighbourhoods in Conakry inhabited by the Peul ethnic group loyal to the opposition, without succeeding in restoring calm.

Residents reported witnessing clashes between gangs of Peuls and youths from the Malinke tribe loyal to Conde.

"Gangs came to attack people here, families, right before the eyes of the police, who didn't do anything," said Saikou Yaya Barry, president of a Peul ethnic association.


"We have seen the heads of families beaten, mothers stripped before their children."

Other witnesses said opposition supporters blocked roads in some part of the capital and attacked passersby.

Diane previously served as security minister under president Lansana Conte, who ruled Guinea from 1984 to 2008.

Guinea's opposition is calling for a South African firm contracted to revise voter lists, Waymark, to be replaced and for Guineans abroad to be allowed to vote.

The opposition accuses Waymark of packing the voter list with Malinke voters loyal to Conde, something which the company has strongly denied.

Opposition leaders temporarily suspended demonstrations this month to allow the UN-brokered talks with the government to take place but later called for the protests to resume, accusing Conde of sabotaging the negotiations.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...