Graft scandal: Malawi leader gets death threats
22 October 2013, 12:07
Blantyre - Malawi President Joyce Banda has received death
threats since the uncovering of a high-level fraud scandal that forced her to
dissolve the cabinet, the country's information minister said.
"President Banda has been receiving death threats. Some
of the threats have come from outside the country," Brown Mpinganjira told
state radio on Monday.
He said police were investigating the threats.
On 10 October, Banda dissolved her cabinet over a graft
scandal dubbed the Capital Hill cash-gate, where top officials are suspected of
swindling more than $3m from state coffers.
"It all shows how serious the battle against fraud and
corruption is," said Mpinganjira, referring to threats.
Two weeks ago, a budget director in the ministry of finance,
Paul Mphwiyo, who had been investigating a fraud ring accused of siphoning
millions of dollars from the state was shot outside his home.
Banda, who is the country's first female president, came to
power in 2012 after the death of Bingu wa Mutharika.
Prosecutors estimate that as much as one-third of the
impoverished country's revenue is lost to fraud and graft-linked payouts.
About 40% of Malawi's national budget comes from aid and
some countries have repeatedly voiced concern over corruption.
The European Union has threatened to suspend aid to Malawi
after the scandal and Norway has halted funds.