Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Gbagbo blames France

06 December 2011, 08:40

The Hague - Former Ivory Coast president Laurent Gbagbo made his first appearance on Monday before the International Criminal Court where he blamed the French military for his arrest for crimes against humanity.

Gbagbo, the first ex-president to be brought before The Hague-based tribunal, faces four counts of crimes against humanity, including murder and rape, over post-election violence the UN said left about 3 000 people dead.

The 66-year-old said his arrest by followers of his rival and current president Alassane Ouattara in April was the direct result of a bombing campaign by France, Ivory Coast's former colonial ruler.

"Good afternoon madame president, thank you for letting me speak. I am Laurent Gbagbo," a gaunt looking Gbagbo said, dressed in a sombre dark suit, white shirt and black tie.

"I was arrested under French bombs," said Gbagbo, who was transferred to The Hague from his northern Ivorian jail cell on Wednesday. "It was the French army that did the job."

Judge Silvia Fernandez de Gurmendi said Gbagbo must reappear on June 18 for a confirmation of charges hearing, when he will learn whether he must stand trial for crimes committed by his troops after he refused to accept defeat in a November 2010 presidential run-off.

His transfer to the ICC last week drew a furious reaction from his supporters and set a tense backdrop for the December 11 parliamentary poll that had been billed as a chance to foster reconciliation in the war-weary country.

Gbagbo spent a decade at the helm of Ivory Coast, the world's number one cocoa exporter, but violence erupted after he refused to accept results from the 2010 election proclaiming victory for Ouattara.

The ICC had issued a sealed arrest warrant against him on November 23 for charges relating to violence allegedly committed by forces loyal to Gbagbo between December 16 2010 and April 12 2011.

Enough evidence

At the next hearing prosecutors must convince the judges they have enough evidence to take him to trial over the charges of murder, rape, persecution and other inhuman acts.

When ICC judges authorised an investigation into Gbagbo earlier this year, they said there were "reasonable grounds" to believe his camp hired and armed some 4 500 mercenaries, including fighters from neighbouring Liberia.

According to figures provided by the ICC chief prosecutor's office, between 700 and 1 048 people were killed by pro-Gbagbo forces.

Gbagbo's camp described his transfer to The Hague as a "political kidnapping" and announced it would boycott the December election and pull out of reconciliation efforts.

His advisor Toussaint Alain denounced the case before the ICC.

"The presence of president Laurent Gbagbo in the dock is clearly a judicial error, a swindle, a move to liquidate him politically, socially and physically," Alain said in a statement issued in The Hague.

Gbagbo supporters see the hand of Ouattara, who took office as president in May after his forces arrested Gbagbo with UN and French military backing, in their leader's transfer and have branded him a Western puppet.

But Charles Ble Goude, Gbagbo's firebrand youth leader, said the ICC was the ideal stage to confound Ouattara.

Truth will out

"The truth comes out now, with Laurent Gbagbo holding the floor on Monday and for the coming months," he said in an "open letter to all Ivorians and Africans" released on Sunday.

A government spokesperson in Abidjan had hailed the transfer as an opportunity to give the country closure over the bloody episode.

But human rights groups warned last week any prosecution focused only on crimes committed by forces loyal to Gbagbo and not those of Ouattara would lead to an "explosive situation on the ground".

ICC prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo has promised an "impartial investigation" aimed at three to six people and said after Gbagbo's transfer: "This is just the beginning."

The Hague-based court, founded in 2002, is the first permanent international criminal tribunal to prosecute perpetrators of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes.

The ICC's six other cases also relate to crimes committed in Africa.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Kenyans demand action after femal...

This comes a few days after a female passenger was drugged and then robbed in a matatu plying the Kenyatta – Kencom route. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Natural aphrodisiacs to boost lib...

It is advisable to take them before sex in order to achieve maximum benefit. Read more...

Submitted by
Man defiles girlfriend’s daughter

The two-year-old girl sustained serious injuries due to the forceful penetration. Read more...

Submitted by
Bernard Lugagah
How your birth order affects your...

Mismatched birth orders may be the simple reason you and your significant other don’t seem to get along.  Read more...

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
Raila has lost his remaining bull...

He added that Jubilee and Cord are like day and night. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Changamwe OCPD collapses, dies in...

He had complained of some pain in his body around 11am. Read more...