Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Fraud: Libya scraps vote results in 24 polling stations

07 July 2014, 10:20

Tripoli - Libya's electoral commission announced Sunday it was scrapping the results from 24 polling stations due to fraud in a parliamentary election contested at 1 600 stations in June.

An investigation has been launched and those responsible for the alleged fraud will be put on trial, said commission chief Imed al-Sayeh.

Sayeh was speaking at a news conference to announce preliminary results for the June 25 election, which was marred by a poor turnout, violence and the murder of a leading women's rights activist.

Authorities had hoped the poll would ease the political turmoil and rising lawlessness gripping Libya since its 2011 revolution which ousted long-time dictator Muammar Gaddafi.

But only 42% of 1.5 million registered voters turned out, according to the commission, with several MPs in the 200-seat parliament elected with less than 1 000 votes.

Individual candidates

Sayeh said the final results should be known by 20 July, but would only cover 184 seats.

Polling for the remaining 16 seats would take place at a later date, after voting was not held in several constituencies due to violence.

The future makeup of parliament will only be known after the formation of political blocs, since the vote was open only to "individual candidates" and lists were barred.

Commentators say liberals will fill most seats in the new parliament, unlike the former assembly which was dominated by Islamists.

The outgoing General National Congress, elected in July 2012 polls, had been mired in controversy and accused of monopolising power.

The crisis came to a head when members of the GNC in February, when its term was due to expire, decided to extend their mandate until December.

That sparked street protests and forced lawmakers to announce the June election.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...