Four dead in Burkina Faso explosives cache blast
16 July 2014, 18:50
Ouagadougou - Four people were killed and dozens wounded when an illegal explosives cache blew up accidentally, Burkina Faso's top security official said Wednesday.
"Two of the dead have been identified and parts of human remains have been found in the rubble belonging to two other people," national security head Omer Batiolo told reporters, ruling out an attack.
He said 32 of a reported 38 people injured in the blast early Tuesday evening had been taken to hospital.
A medical source said seven people were in a serious condition, including a woman who underwent emergency surgery.
Batolio said the explosives had been intended for use in illegal mining operations.
The blast damaged or destroyed 21 houses within a 100-metre (-yard) radius, he said.
The location of the blast near the home of a traditional leader who has joined opposition sparked rumours that it may not have been accidental.