Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Ex-general takes charge of Nigeria defence ministry

05 March 2014, 19:01

Abuja - Ex-army general Mohammed Gusau formally took charge of Nigeria's defence ministry on Wednesday, a choice analysts said may lead to a change in strategy in the raging battle against Boko Haram.

The defence post had been vacant since June 2012, when President Goodluck Jonathan sacked Mohammed Bello following a spate of deadly attacks by the Islamist insurgents.

Gusau, a former chief of army staff, has twice served as Nigeria's national security advisor, including from 1999 to 2006.

He was reappointed as NSA in 2010 but later quit to challenge Jonathan for the ruling party's nomination ahead of 2011 elections.

While his relationship with the president was said to be strained, analysts suggested Jonathan selected Gusau because his intelligence expertise was needed in reshaping strategy to defeat the Islamist rebels who have already killed 500 this year.

"What we have seen is that the Nigerian military cannot defeat Boko Haram with just force," Professor Dapo Thomas, of Lagos State University told AFP. "It is all about intelligence now.

"Because of [Gusau's] background, I cannot think of a better candidate for the defence post," the political and security expert said.

Jonathan replaced his entire military top brass in January and the military has issued statements promising various new strategies to combat the Islamists.

But the violence has continued at a relentless pace.

Secondary school students and other civilians have been slaughtered in a range of attacks this year blamed on Boko Haram.

Nigeria's former ambassador to China, Aminu Wali, has meanwhile taken charge of the foreign ministry, replacing Olugbenga Ashiru who was removed last year.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...