Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Egypt to try hundreds of civilians in military courts

16 December 2014, 11:36

Cairo - An Egyptian prosecutor on Monday referred to a military court at least 339 alleged supporters of the banned Muslim Brotherhood, including four top leaders, judicial sources said, as the state expands a crackdown against political opponents.

Egypt expanded the jurisdiction of military courts in October to try civilians accused of acts ranging from attacking state facilities to blocking roads. That followed some of the worst assaults on security forces since last year's overthrow of President Mohammed Mursi of the Brotherhood.

The practice is seen by critics as another clampdown on dissent by a government that has jailed thousands of Brothers and targeted other activists.

It is a controversial issue in Egypt, where the armed forces play an influential role in both political and economic spheres. President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi was previously chief of the army, which toppled Mursi after protests against his rule.

The public prosecutor in the Suez Canal city of Ismailia referred 299 alleged Mursi supporters to a military court on charges of arson following the breakup by security forces of two Cairo protest camps in August 2013 when hundreds of people were killed.

Also read: Egypt court sentences 188 people to death

The defendants included Brotherhood leaders Mohamed Badie, Essam El-Erian, Mohamed El-Beltagy and Safwat Hagazy, judicial sources said.

The prosecutor said earlier in the day that 40 defendants arrested in various incidents had been referred to military courts on charges of inciting violence and looting, blocking roads and belonging to a banned group.

They were also charged with breaking a law restricting protest, which has been used to imprison many of the leaders of the 2011 uprising that forced veteran autocrat Hosni Mubarak from power and ignited hopes for deeper change.

Egypt's top prosecutor on Saturday referred 139 alleged Brotherhood members in the southern province of Minya to a military court in relation to an attack on a police station following Mursi's ouster.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...