Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Egypt shouldn't ban Brotherhood – PM

29 August 2013, 11:13

Cairo - Egypt should not ban the Muslim Brotherhood or exclude it from politics after the army's overthrow of Islamist president Mohammed Morsi, the interim prime minister said, reversing his previous stated view. 

The apparent about-turn fuelled speculation that the military-installed government may now seek a political settlement to the crisis, but also coincided with a new call for protests by Morsi’s supporters.

Hazem el-Beblawi, the interim prime minister, had proposed on 17 August that the Brotherhood, the Arab world's oldest and arguably most influential Islamist group, should be dissolved, and said the government was studying the idea.

In an interview with state media late on Tuesday, Beblawi appeared to row back, saying the government would instead monitor the group and its political wing and that the actions of its members would determine its fate.

"Dissolving the party or the group is not the solution and it is wrong to make decisions in turbulent situations," the state news agency MENA quoted Beblawi as saying.

"It is better for us to monitor parties and groups in the framework of political action without dissolving them or having them act in secret."

But he tempered his comments in a separate interview with the newspaper al-Shorouk, saying parts of Egyptian society "think that the Brotherhood does not truly desire reconciliation", and urging it to "face up to reality".

The government has portrayed its attack on the Brotherhood as a fight against terrorism, and Beblawi said ordinary citizens were "afraid of reconciliation with people who use force".

There has been no sign from the Brotherhood, most of whose leaders are now in jail or on the run, that it wants to engage with the army establishment that bulldozed it out.

Outlawed for decades

Founded in 1928, the Brotherhood was banned by Egypt's then military rulers in 1954. Though still outlawed during the 30-year rule of Hosni Mubarak, it ran a large welfare network and its members ran as independents in limited elections.

After decades of operating in the shadows and winning support with its charities and preaching, the Brotherhood registered itself as a non-governmental organisation in March in response to a court challenge by people contesting its legality.

It also has a registered political arm, the Freedom and Justice Party (FJP), set up in 2011 after Mubarak's overthrow in an uprising. The Brotherhood won all five national votes held since 2011, including Morsi’s election as president last year.

But Morsi alienated swathes of Egyptians during his year in power and, after mass protests, the army removed him on 3 July.

More than 1 000 people, including about 100 police and soldiers, have since been killed in the worst internal violence in the Egyptian republic's history. Most died when the security forces dispersed two pro-Morsi protest camps on 14 August. State media have described the crackdown as a war on "terrorism".

With the Brotherhood in shock, protests that it called last Friday mostly failed to materialise.

The National Coalition to Support Legitimacy and Reject the Coup, which includes the Brotherhood and demands Morsi’s reinstatement, promised protests in the streets and squares of all of Egypt's 27 provinces this Friday and said it would "activate a plan of peaceful civil disobedience".

The newspaper run by the Brotherhood's FJP ran an advertisement under the banner "Boycott the murderers", urging citizens not to watch the television channels of the "old regime"; not to pay taxes to "the government that is killing us"; and not to buy products made by companies that it accused of supporting the military-backed interim government.

The government says it will call parliamentary and presidential elections within months, after the passage of a new constitution.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
What do men mean when they say th...

As much as men think they are the ones confused by relationships, they have a better idea of it than most women actually do. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto, not Kenneth the main man...

DP William Ruto will be the main man for the Jubilee Party in 2022, Kiraitu Murungi insists. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Jittery times for DP Ruto as Kenn...

Peter Kenneth is a genuine threat to DP William Ruto's 2022 State House bid... and the DP's allies know it. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will name those sabotaging DP R...

A Jubilee Party Governor says that he will name and shame those within Jubilee he says are undermining DP William Ruto's 2022 State House plans. Read more...

ODM official acquitted of defilem...

A Nakuru ODM official on Thursday broke into tears after the court acquitted him of defilement charges leveled against him by his 15-year-old cousin. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...