Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Egypt protesters 'got what they wanted'

16 August 2013, 13:55

London - Egypt's ambassador to Britain said a crackdown on supporters of deposed President Mohammed Morsi was not excessive and that protesters had portrayed themselves as victims and had shot one another dead in some cases.

Dismissing some reports of Wednesday's crackdown as false, Ambassador Ashraf ElKholy told a news conference that some protesters had been armed and that security forces had had every right to respond in the way that they did.

"They [protesters] got what they wanted, they showed they were the victims," he said. When asked whether he was suggesting that some protesters had shot one other, he said: "Yes".

Egypt's government says 578 people were killed and thousands wounded in the worst day of civil violence in the modern history of the most populous Arab state.

International condemnation rained down on Egypt's military-backed rulers for ordering the storming of pro-Mursi protest camps after dawn on Wednesday, six weeks after the army overthrew the country's first freely elected leader.

Britain's Foreign Office summoned ElKholy on Wednesday to express "deep concern" about the violence and condemn the use of force against the protesters.

Well organised

In his news conference, the ambassador showed footage of the clashes which he said backed up his assertion that the protesters had been armed.

"It shows it's not that simple and innocent," he said.

Security forces had used teargas and water cannon first and had issued plenty of warnings, he said, saying they had only responded with live ammunition in self-defence after protesters had opened fire on them.

The security response had been "so human and well organised," he added.

Offering his condolences to anyone who had lost a loved one in the violence, he said that the figure of more than 500 people killed should not be misinterpreted.

"It's all around Egypt. Some of them they are far away from the demonstration areas, some of them are civilians, some of them are civil servants. So this number doesn't reflect that all of them are victims of the protest. They are victims from the terror that has [been] demonstrated by the Muslim Brotherhood."

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...