Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Egypt court sets judgment day for 700

26 March 2014, 09:08

Cairo - An Egypt court which triggered a global outcry after it sentenced 529 Islamists to death has set 28 April as judgment day in the trial of about 700 co-defendants, a lawyer said on Tuesday.

Mohamed Badie, the supreme guide of deposed Islamist president Mohammed Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood, is among the defendants, but he was not brought to court Tuesday for security reasons, security officials said.

He faces several other trials that could also result in the death penalty.

Defence lawyers boycotted Tuesday's session of the trial, branding it "farcical" after Monday's mass sentencing which the UN denounced as a breach of international human rights law.

The roughly 1 200 defendants in the case are accused of the murder and attempted murder of several policemen during riots in the city of Minya south of Cairo on 14 August.

The rioting erupted as news spread that police had killed hundreds of supporters of Morsi while dispersing two Cairo protest camps.

Lawyer Mohamed Tousson told AFP that the defence had walked out of Tuesday's session of the Minya court.

"We boycotted the hearing because the trial is farcical," he said. Tousson later said that the trial was adjourned to 28 April when the judge is expected to deliver his verdict on the nearly 700 Islamists.

Egyptian media reported that the judge, Said Yusef Sabry, has a history of delivering harsh judgements, including a 30-year prison sentence for a man who stole dresses from a women's clothing store.

Legal experts said the unprecedented sentences on Monday are likely to be overturned on appeal, after the court rushed through the verdict in two hearings.

Breach of international human rights

The sentencings sparked an international outcry and sent a chill through opponents of the military-installed regime, which has placed more than 2 000 alleged Islamists on mass trials since the army overthrew Morsi in July.

Monday's death sentences drew fire from rights groups, the United Nations, the United States and the European Union, which questioned the fairness of proceedings against so many defendants lasting just two days.

Egypt's army-installed interim government has defended the court's handling of the case, insisting that the sentences had been handed down only "after careful study" and were subject to appeal.

Of the 529 sentenced on Monday, only 153 are in custody. The rest were tried in their absence and will get a retrial if they turn themselves in.

Another 17 defendants were acquitted.

The United Nations denounced Monday's verdict.

"The mass imposition of the death penalty after a trial that was rife with procedural irregularities is in breach of international human rights law," said Rupert Colville, spokesman for the UN high commissioner for human rights.

Washington questioned how the court could have given the defendants a fair hearing in a trial that spanned just two days - an opening session on Saturday and Monday's sentencing.

Entirely independent

"It sort of defies logic," said Marie Harf, deputy US State Department spokesperson, adding that Washington was "deeply concerned" and "shocked".

"Obviously the defendants can appeal, but it simply does not seem possible that a fair review of evidence and testimony consistent with international standards could be accomplished with over 529 defendants in a two-day trial," Harf said.

Defence counsel Tousson charged that the judge had rushed to sentencing on Monday after being angered by a lawyer's request for his recusal at Saturday's opening hearing.

"He got very angry, and adjourned the trial for sentencing," Tousson said. "It's a huge violation of defendants' rights."

The foreign ministry defended the judiciary, saying it was "entirely independent and not influenced in any way by the executive branch of government".

At least 1 400 people have been killed in the crackdown on Morsi's supporters and thousands more arrested, according to Amnesty International.

Morsi is himself currently on trial in three different cases. The army removed Egypt's first freely elected president after a single year in power following mass protests demanding his resignation.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
China to help Kenya fight high le...

China observed that if left unchecked, corruption could see the country degenerate into lawlessness. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Signs that he is seeing someone e...

When a man wants to be with you, he will always create time to be with you. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Spat between DP Ruto and Boniface...

A close associate of the DP, Hon Njogu Barua made an alarming comment on live TV Tuesday morning. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Matatu driver who drugged, robbed...

The driver of a Nissan matatu who over the weekend drugged and robbed a female passenger in Nairobi has been charged. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Heavy police contingent deployed ...

More police officers were on Monday deployed at Likoni in Mombasa County in a security operation to nab members of the ‘Wakali Kwanza’ and ‘Mtalia’ criminal gangs who have been terrorizing locals in the area. Read more...