Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Egypt convicts 12 activists in one case

06 January 2014, 12:36

Cairo - Twelve Egyptian activists were given one-year suspended jail terms on Sunday in a case brought over an attack on the campaign headquarters of defeated presidential candidate Ahmed Shafik during the 2012 election.

The activists include siblings Alaa Abdel Fattah and Mona Seif, leading figures in the protest movement that triggered the 2011 uprising against autocrat Hosni Mubarak. The movement has been targeted in a widening crackdown by the army-backed authorities.

In a move that could open the way to more legal measures against prominent dissidents, the authorities opened an investigation into allegations that six activists took part in the storming of Egypt's domestic spying agency in 2011 - an important moment in the revolt against Mubarak's order.

It intensifies what activists see as an effort to discredit the secular protest movement as the government also pursues a crackdown on Islamist supporters of deposed president Mohammed Morsi ahead of elections later this year.

Sunday's verdict related to an attack on Shafik's campaign headquarters ahead of the presidential run-off against the Muslim Brotherhood's Morsi in the 2012 election.

The Cairo court convicted them of "displaying force", a charge they denied. "The ruling was political," Mona Seif told Reuters TV after the verdict was announced.

The case was brought earlier this year by a public prosecutor appointed by Morsi. At the time, activists said it was an attempt to intimidate the pro-democracy movement.

President meets pope ahead of Christmas

Since the military overthrew Morsi in July, the army-backed authorities have launched a crackdown that has mostly targeted Morsi’s Islamist supporters but has recently widened to include members of the secular activist movement.

The government, which enjoys support among Egyptians eager to see a return to stability after three years of turmoil, has meanwhile pressed ahead with the political roadmap whose next step is a Jan. 14-15 referendum on a new constitution.

In symbolic outreach that could help shore up support for the roadmap among Egypt's Christians - about a tenth of the population - interim head of state Adly Mansour visited the head of the Coptic church ahead of the 7 January Coptic Christmas.

The visit "reflected the state's appreciation for the great patriotic role they [Egypt's Copts] played in countering attempts to sow seeds of division among Egyptians", the presidency said in a statement.

Coptic Pope Tawadros had accused Mursi of neglecting his community and supported the Islamist's overthrow by army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, widely seen as the man most likely to win a presidential vote expected in the coming months.

The new probe opened on Sunday relates to the storming by protesters of the headquarters of State Security, the domestic spying agency, several weeks after Mubarak's downfall. State Security was an important tool of political control in Mubarak's era. Critics likened it to East Germany's Stasi.

A judicial official said the public prosecutor had referred to the State Security prosecutor formal legal complaints against six activists.

Telephone conversations

The complaints were lodged after a privately-owned Egyptian satellite channel broadcast what it said were recordings of telephone conversations in which the activists discuss files found at State Security offices.

The complaints were filed by several people including lawyers who volunteered to defend Mubarak in the case brought against him for ordering the killing of protesters during the 2011 uprising.

The accused include Ahmed Douma and Mohamed Adel - two of three prominent activists sentenced on 22 December to three years in prison each over for their role in recent protests.

That ruling drew condemnation from Western governments and local and international rights groups.

The government escalated its efforts to suppress Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood last month by declaring it a terrorist organisation, giving the authorities even wider scope to jail its supporters.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...