Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Egypt approves $3.2bn stimulus plan

29 August 2013, 08:06

Cairo - Egypt's cabinet approved on Wednesday an additional $3.2bn in spending on investment projects to boost the economy over the coming 10 months, Deputy Prime Minister Ziad Bahaa el-Din said.

He said the government would present its economic programme to Gulf Arab countries, in particular the United Arab Emirates, which has already agreed to finance medical projects and 10 wheat silos.

The army-backed interim government is keen to improve conditions for a deeply polarised population battered by more than two years of political and economic turmoil. Despite a mushrooming budget deficit, it is under intense pressure to avoid unpopular austerity measures.

Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates have promised Egypt a total of $12bn in loans, grants and fuel shipments after Islamist President Mohammed Morsi was deposed by the army last month. Of that, $5bn has already arrived.

Even with the new spending, the government aims to reduce the budget deficit to 9% of gross domestic product in the fiscal year to end-June 2014 from 14% last year, Finance Minister Ahmed Galal said.

This it would do by streamlining spending, especially on energy subsidies, and through Gulf aid, Galal said.

The two ministers were speaking at a news conference after a cabinet meeting.

"There will be a gradual change in the price of energy for large investors in all energy products," Galal said, adding that the government was preparing a phased plan for the increases.

"Its implementation might be over two years and will begin before the end of the current year." He said the government planned no new taxes.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...