Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Egypt-Mexico relations strained following deadly airstrike

14 September 2015, 19:15

Cairo - Egyptian security forces have mistakenly killed 12 people including Mexican tourists while chasing jihadists in the vast Western Desert, sparking condemnation of what Mexico called a "deplorable" air attack.

A joint police and military operation Sunday "chasing terrorist elements" had "mistakenly" targeted four pick-up trucks carrying Mexican tourists, the interior ministry said in a statement.

It did not give a casualties breakdown, but said "the incident led to the death of 12 Mexicans and Egyptians and the wounding of 10 others".

It said the tourists had been in an "off-limits" area, but did not give an exact location.

Mexican Foreign Minister Claudia Ruiz Massieu told reporters that at least two Mexican tourists had been killed in an air strike.

The group had arrived in Cairo on September 11 and left two days later on their way to the Bahariya oasis, Ruiz Massieu said.

She said six Mexican survivors told Mexico's ambassador to Cairo that they had stopped for a meal when they "suffered an aerial attack with bombs launched by a plane and helicopters".

Ruiz Massieu said Mexico had expressed its "deep dismay over these deplorable events" in a diplomatic note to Cairo's ambassador, demanding a "swift, exhaustive and deep investigation".

She said Egypt had pledged to create an investigative committee into the incident that would be headed by the prime minister.

In a tweet earlier, Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto had demanded "an exhaustive investigation about what happened from the government of Egypt".

Mexico's envoy in Cairo had visited wounded nationals in the city's Dar al-Fouad Hospital where they were listed in stable condition, the foreign ministry in Mexico City said.

The incident was likely to raise further concerns for Egypt's vital tourism industry, which has struggled to recover from years of political and economic chaos.

The Western Desert, a popular destination for tour groups, extends from the suburbs of Cairo to the border with Libya.

A senior tourism ministry official told AFP the incident happened as the tourists were travelling between Cairo and the Bahariya oasis, about 350 kilometres (220 miles) southwest of the capital.

A police source said special forces were on Sunday carrying out an operation involving air support about 150 kilometres west of Bahariya.

Egypt's interior ministry did not indicate how the group was targeted.

The desert is also a militant hideout, and Western embassies have long warned against non-essential travel to the area.

Last month, Egypt's branch of the Islamic State group beheaded a young Croatian there who was working for a French company, and IS has also attacked security forces there several times.

IS in Egypt said in a statement that it had "resisted a military operation in the Western Desert" on Sunday, but gave no other details.

Egypt has been struggling to quell a jihadist insurgency since the military overthrew Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in 2013, focused mainly on their primary holdout in the Sinai Peninsula in the east.

The country has one of the region's most powerful and well-equipped militaries, and was further boosted by recent deliveries of F-16 warplanes by Washington and Rafale fighters from France.

Last week, the army launched an anti-IS operation in the Sinai which it said killed 56 jihadists.

The army often reports large death tolls among the insurgents but they are impossible to verify and there has been little noticeable effect on IS's ability to stage attacks.

The government says hundreds of police and soldiers have been killed, many in attacks claimed by IS's Sinai Province affiliate.

After launching spectacular attacks targeting security forces in its North Sinai bastion over the past two years, militants are increasingly adopting tactics similar to the main IS group in Iraq and Syria.

In July, the group claimed the bombing of the Italian consulate in Cairo in which one civilian was killed, and it also claimed the killing of an American employee of oil company Apache last year in the Western Desert.

The beheading in July of Croatian engineer Tomislav Salopek, claimed by IS, appeared aimed at scaring off tourists and foreign employees of Western firms -- two cornerstones of an economy battered by years of unrest since the 2011 uprising that ousted then-president Hosni Mubarak.

About 10 million tourists visited Egypt in 2014, down sharply from a 2010 figure of almost 15 million drawn by Egypt's archaeological sites and Red Sea resorts.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!



Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...