Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Death toll hits 52 in Nigeria market attack

29 January 2014, 10:32

Kawuri - The number of people killed in a deadly market attack blamed on Boko Haram militants in northeast Nigeria has risen to 52, police told AFP on Tuesday.

"From the verified figures I have in my records, 52 people have been confirmed killed in the attack," Borno state police commissioner Lawan Tanko told AFP.

Tanko said on Monday that 45 people had lost their lives in the attack in Kawuri, some 37km from the state capital Maiduguri, on Sunday.

The attack came on the same day that suspected Boko Haram gunmen fired on worshippers during a service at a Roman Catholic church in neighbouring Adamawa state.

At least 26 people died, according to the state government.

Both incidents came just a week after Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan sacked his military top brass in a move interpreted as a sign of his dissatisfaction with the counter-insurgency effort.

Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states were placed under emergency rule in May last year to try to end the insurgency, which has claimed thousands of lives since 2009.

Attacks have continued, most of them in rural areas of Borno.

Third degree burns

Nigeria's new chief of defence staff, Air Marshall Alex Badeh, comes from Adamawa and has said he wanted an end to the fighting by April.

In Kawuri, which saw a similar attack in October last year, the head of the local civilian vigilante group, Lawal Mustapha, claimed that 85 people had been killed.

"I participated in the burial of 83 people on Monday," he said, adding that two more bodies were found burnt and later interred.

There was no independent corroboration of the higher toll and Tanko said that the 52 deaths police recorded were "documented names".

A further 26 were in hospital and the toll was likely to rise, he added.

"Some of the injured have third-degree burns and they're likely to die," the police commissioner said.

Borno governor Kashim Shettima, who toured the village, was told the attackers arrived in 22 vehicles, including two armoured personnel carriers and six pick-up trucks in military colours.

They opened fire with assault rifles and set fire to seven mosques in an attack that lasted from around 17:00 to well past midnight.

Vehicles and motorcycles were burnt out and houses razed.

Second attack

Local councillor Dala Lawal said the imam of one mosque was killed while two others were killed as they prayed.

"We saw hell. The attackers were merciless," he told reporters.

The second attack in the village of Waga Chakawa, Adamawa, also bore the hallmarks of Boko Haram.

"The assailants, who came in in a Hilux [pick-up truck] and an armoured car, locked the doors of the church and shot at worshippers sporadically," said Raymond Danbouye, a spokesperson for the Diocese of Yola.

Danbouye said the parish priest in the village, Jerome Odineze, had told him he buried 22 of his parishioners and 31 people died in total.

Several people injured in the attack, including seven women, were receiving treatment in hospital, he added.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...