Deaf child lucky to have his sight after firework explodes in face
06 November 2015, 09:41
Cape Town - A 7-year-old boy is lucky to have his sight
after a firework exploded in his face at a Delft park.
Jahmeil Galant and a relative, also 7, were playing together
when an older child threw a firecracker in his direction, his mother Sharlene
Galant told News24 on Thursday.
“He went closer to have a look at what it was and picked it
up. It started spinning and it exploded,” she said.
“My son is deaf and didn't realise what was happening. When
the children brought him home and I saw his blood-spattered face, I was
horrified. He couldn’t open his eyes.”
She rushed Jahmeil to the doctor, who referred her to
“While we sat there, children injured by firecrackers came
in for treatment. One little girl lost her fingertips because one of those
bombs exploded in her hand,” she said.
“I just prayed that my child wouldn't lose his sight. We sat
there through the night until the specialist saw him the next morning. When she
checked him out, she told me we are lucky he didn't lose his eyes.”
Galant said she has never bought her son fireworks.
"It’s dangerous," she insisted. "I don’t see
the point of it. All it does is traumatise people and scare the dogs."
"Since we returned from hospital, my child doesn’t want
to play outside. He is so traumatised. I hope people see the damage these
things can cause and think twice before buying it."
Meanwhile, the City of Cape Town has warned that anyone
under the age of 16 was not permitted to discharge fireworks.
The Cape of Good Hope SPCA also called for a
"firework-free year", saying Guy Fawkes Day celebrations
"results in more than just one night of torment – [it leads] to weeks of
suffering for many lost and injured animals".