Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Darfur recovery needs $6bn – official

18 February 2013, 17:46

Khartoum - The economic recovery of Sudan's war-ravaged Darfur needs an estimated $6bn, the region's top official said on Sunday, appealing for international support 10 years after an insurrection began.

Eltigani Seisi made the comments in an interview with AFP ahead of an April 7-8 donors' conference in Qatar.

Analysts are sceptical that major funds will be forthcoming.

"If the international community refrains from providing support then how could we be able to stabilise the situation on the ground?" Seisi said.

"And how could the people of Darfur have dividends for peace?"

United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon reported in January that a 2011 armistice deal, signed in Doha, has yet to bring "concrete peace dividends" for Darfur's neediest.

The UN says 1.4 million still live in camps for people displaced by fighting.

"I am increasingly concerned that this lack of meaningful progress will erode the confidence of the people of Darfur and the international community in the Doha document," Ban said.

He called it "particularly regrettable" that provisions for the voluntary return of the displaced, the disbanding of militia, and reconstruction and development have not been implemented.

Peace deal

Sudan's government signed the peace deal with an alliance of rebel splinter factions but major insurgents rejected it.

The rebellion, by groups complaining about an imbalance of power and wealth in the country, has been compounded by inter-Arab violence, banditry and tribal fighting.

Seisi heads the Darfur Regional Authority set up to implement the Doha agreement.

He said the Khartoum government, after delays, has now transferred an initial contribution of about $200m for a reconstruction and development fund. Seisi had earlier described the payment as "absolutely necessary" to persuade other contributors.

Sudan's economy has struggled after losing about half its fiscal revenues when South Sudan separated in 2011 with most of the united country's oil production.

"The issue is provision of services as well as infrastructure development" for Darfur, Seisi said. "That development cannot come through without the support of the international community."

An assessment mission under the peace agreement concluded that Darfur needs about $6bn for economic recovery, development and poverty eradication, he said.

The extent to which the international community will deliver fresh funding is unclear, a foreign diplomat said.

"I'm not very optimistic," said the diplomat, requesting anonymity.

"It all depends on the donors," Seisi said.

International aid

Dane Smith, the US administration's senior adviser for Darfur, warned in December that financial support for Darfur's recovery is in jeopardy unless the Khartoum government eases restrictions on international aid personnel.

He said they face difficulties in getting visas and permits to reach Darfur.

Seisi said he is "very much concerned" the issue could limit funding but authorities are taking steps to improve access.

"I don't see any reason for not allowing UN staff to go there", he said.

The United Nations said last Thursday that aid delivery is in jeopardy for an estimated 100 000 people affected by violence in the Jebel Amir region of North Darfur state unless authorities grant better access.

The mass displacement occurred after inter-Arab tribal fighting in a gold mining area of North Darfur, a state where "ethnic tensions" have led to recent violence, Seisi said.

He admitted that government-linked militia in North Darfur have "committed atrocities against innocent civilians" but he said the Doha peace deal calls for militia to be disbanded.

Elsewhere in Darfur, "we believe the situation has improved a lot", he said.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM beats Jubilee in 3 by-electio...

ODM dominates Jubilee Party in by elections.

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Kenyan ivory seized in Vietnam

Vietnamese authorities have seized 1 tonne of ivory smuggled from Kenya, the fifth such seizure in the past month. Read more...

Submitted by
Cyril Mike Odhiz
Kenyans furious on young lady aft...

A young Kenyan woman is the talk of town after she posted a photo with her elderly lover after a round of steamy sex, or so the photo suggested.  Read more...

Submitted by
Kiplangat langat
Uhuru could be a one term Presid...

Bomet governor Isaac Ruto has said that President Uhuru Kenyatta could be a one term President if he fails to increase allocations to the counties. Read more...

Submitted by
Mody Sammy
35 year old farmer a new milliona...

A 35 year old farmer from Mpeketoni Lamu county has become the latest millionaire in town as she became winner in the ongoing ‘Shinda Mamili na Story Ibambe’. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Leave your past relationship bagg...

Leave your past relationship baggage at the door when you start a new relationship. Read more...