Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


DRC suspends 12 army officers over rapes

12 April 2013, 14:17

New York - The Democratic Republic of Congo army has suspended 12 senior officers over mass rapes in the strife-torn east of the country, a UN spokesperson said on Thursday.

The action follows pressure from the United Nations which had threatened to withdraw co-operation with units implicated in 126 rapes in the eastern town of Minova in November as the army retreated from a rebel advance.

"The Congo [DRC] military has suspended the commanding officers and deputy commanding officers of two units," the UN peacekeeping department spokesperson Kieran Dwyer told AFP.

"They have suspended the commanding officers of eight other units," Dwyer added.

The DRC government informed the United Nations of the action after the UN mission in the country, Monusco, gave the government one week from March 25 to act over the Minova rapes. Earlier the UN deadlines set in February were ignored.

All of the suspended officers are now liable for prosecution and interviews of victims and suspects have started, Dwyer said, quoting the government's account.

"It is a signal of the commitment of the Congolese authorities, but we need them to follow through and hold accountable those who carried out these terrible crimes," Dwyer said.

The UN says at least 126 women were raped in and around Minova from November 20 as the army retreated from an assault by the M23 rebel movement on the regional capital of Goma. Widespread pillaging was reported.

Human Rights Watch says that over a 10-day period the soldiers "went on a raping and looting rampage in Minova and neighbouring communities."

The rights group said in a report released in February that several women told investigators that "soldiers in official army uniform forced their way into the women's homes at night" demanded money and carried out the rapes.

The feeble DRC army has been much criticized for its brutality against civilians and corruption. UN officials said it "melted away" during the M23 advance last year.

The DRC army is heavily reliant on UN equipment and military support in its efforts to control the armed groups that hold sway in resource-rich eastern DRC.


Tags m23 drc

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Machakos no longer a CORD zone, M...

Machakos is now a Jubilee Party zone and no longer CORD, Governor Alfred Mutua says. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
REVEALED: Why Kalonzo attacked Uh...

There was no holding back for CORD co principal Kalonzo Musyoka as he spoke his mind during Mashujaa Day celebrations in Machakos. But why? Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will step down if I lose in 201...

President Uhuru Kenyatta says that he is ready to step down from office if he loses the 2017 General Elections. Read more...