Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


DRC rebels impose 'unacceptable' curfew

05 September 2013, 10:11

Kinshasa - M23 rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo are enforcing a curfew in areas under their control, the UN peacekeeping mission said on Wednesday, calling the move "completely unacceptable".

Monusco spokesperson Felix Basse said the UN troops were monitoring the situation in the area of the resource-rich east of the country controlled by the rebels during the current lull in fighting.

"At the moment, it is time to consolidate the positions recovered by the army pending further actions in the future," said Basse.

"The M23, which in practice controls the territory of Rutshuru [north of Goma]," has "imposed a curfew on civilians," said the Senegalese officer.

He said this was "completely unacceptable" and the situation was "being monitored by UN troops until future action".

The UN Special Envoy Mary Robinson said on Wednesday she believed discussions between Kinshasa and the rebels could yet succeed in bringing an end to attacks on civilians in the region.

The negotiations, which opened in December in Kampala and have been suspended since May, were not "at an impasse," said Robinson during a press conference in the Congolese capital.

The former Irish president told the audience she believed a solution would be found, but admitted she was "a bit frustrated" with the progress so far.

International pressure

The rebels, who seized Goma for 12 days in November before withdrawing to the surrounding hills under international pressure, retreated this week to around 30km north of the city in the face of a new UN-backed offensive by the army.

The M23 was launched by Tutsi soldiers who mutinied from the army in April 2012 and turned their guns on their former comrades.

The UN and the Kinshasa government accuse neighbouring Rwanda of supporting the rebels, a charge Kigali denies.

The latest comments came as defence chiefs and foreign ministers from Africa's Great Lakes region met in Uganda in the latest bid to end the fighting in DRC.

Congolese troops, backed by a special United Nations force, launched a fresh assault against the M23 army mutineers in the turbulent North-Kivu province late last month

On Friday, the rebels retreated to Kibumba, some 30km north of Goma, the capital of the mineral-rich province of North Kivu.

Although there has been no fighting since Sunday, a high-ranking army officer told AFP on Monday that an offensive on Kibumba was planned "in the near future". He added that army positions were within two kilometres of the town.

Army spokesperson Olivier Hamuli said the goal was to "consolidate" positions it had gained in the East, "knowing that Rwanda is behind" the M23.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...