Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


DRC delays announcing poll winner

07 December 2011, 12:35

Kinshasa - The DR Congo's election commission on Tuesday postponed declaring the winner of last week's polls amid fears the result could lead to new violence as protests erupted worldwide.

The conflict-prone country has been on high alert while it awaits the final results after a campaign that saw deadly police crackdowns on opposition rallies and a series of clashes between rival partisans.

Early tallies showed President Joseph Kabila heading for re-election in the single-round vote, which pitted him against a divided opposition field of 10 candidates.

But the Independent National Electoral Commission (Ceni) said late Tuesday it needed more time to compile final results from around the vast central African country, promising a full count within 48 hours.

Respecting the law

"We don't have all the results sheets from the 169 local results compilation centres," Ceni spokesperson Matthieu Mpita told AFP.

"That's why we had to postpone the provisional results. To respect the law, we need to have all the results sheets in our possession."

The postponement came after police fired teargas to disperse opposition supporters in Kinshasa.

According to results issued late Tuesday, Kabila led main rival Etienne Tshisekedi 49 percent to 33 percent, with 89 percent of polling centres counted.

The Democratic Republic of Congo has been holding its breath since the vote, which was marred by chaos and rioting at polling stations and deadly rebel attacks in the south-eastern city of Lubumbashi.

Washington called on all political factions to reject violence and for the authorities to protect the population.

"Violence has no place in the democratic process," State Department spokesperson Mark Toner said.

"The United States urges all Congolese political leaders and their supporters to act responsibly and to renounce violence, and reminds the government of the DRC of its responsibility to provide security for the Congolese population."

Soldiers, police patrols

Some 20 000 soldiers are on stand-by at bases in Kinshasa, and convoys of large trucks packed with armed police carrying gas masks were seen on the capital's unusually quiet streets.

Heavy police patrols on Tuesday fired teargas and repeatedly dispersed opposition supporters outside the headquarters of the Union for Democracy and Social Progress (UDPS), Tshisekedi's party.

In Mbuji-Mayi, capital of Kasai Oriental province and a Tshisekedi stronghold, authorities had imposed a 22:00 to 06:00 curfew.

In Lubumbashi, Kabila's presidential guard was deployed.

Protests around globe

Tensions also spilled over into the Congolese diaspora.

In London, some 300 anti-Kabila protesters accusing Western countries of backing the incumbent clashed with police outside Prime Minister David Cameron's residence.

Two people were treated for injuries. Seventeen were arrested on suspicion of obstructing a highway, a Scotland Yard spokesperson said.

In Toronto, some 150 protesters swarmed a police car and dirt was thrown at officers, prompting an emergency radio call for back-up. Two people were arrested, a police spokesperson said.

Congolese protesters also clashed with police on Monday in Brussels, where nearly 100 Tshisekedi supporters were arrested according to the Belga news agency, and in Johannesburg and Pretoria.

The International Crisis Group has put the DR Congo on its "conflict risk alert" list, citing clashes in Kinshasa on the eve of the polls, the attacks in Lubumbashi on voting day and a call from several opposition candidates for the vote to be annulled.

International Criminal Court prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo issued a warning to the rival camps on Tuesday.

"We are closely watching the situation on the ground, and recourse to violence will not be accepted," he said in a statement.

The elections are just the second since back-to-back wars from 1996 to 2003 in a country ranked last on the UN's development index despite a wealth of cobalt, copper, diamonds and gold.

Election officials had to bring in more than 80 aircraft to get ballots distributed to some 64 000 polling stations in a country two-thirds the size of Western Europe, and poor infrastructure has made counting slow.

The supreme court has until December 17 to review the result and declare the official winner. Provisional parliamentary results are due in mid-January.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...