Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


DRC army takes on M23 rebels

18 July 2013, 12:01

Goma - The Congolese army on Wednesday stepped up an offensive against M23 rebels in the country's volatile east, shelling positions north of the flashpoint city of Goma.

Backed by tanks, mortars and heavy machine guns mounted on gun carriages, the regular soldiers pounded M23 positions on the hills overlooking Kanyarucinya and Kibati in the restive east of the country.

On Tuesday, three army helicopters also targeted rebel positions, an AFP photographer said.

Exchanges of automatic weapons fire grew heavier in the late afternoon, suggesting that army soldiers were unleashing a ground offensive.

The deadliest clashes in months in the mineral-rich region broke out on Sunday, with at least 130 people killed including 10 soldiers, according to a toll given by the DRC army on Monday.

The M23 is an armed group launched by Tutsi former soldiers who mutinied from the Congolese army in April 2012 and occupied the flashpoint city of Goma for 10 days in November before withdrawing under international pressure.

On Wednesday the rebels offered little resistance, claiming that the army and the UN peacekeeping mission in DRC (Monusco) were setting a "trap" for them.

"If we respond, we may cause damage" since the targeted positions are near displaced people's camps as well as a Monusco base, said Bertrand Bisimwa, M23's political chief, told AFP.

"There's a risk of drawing Monusco (into the conflict). I think that's the trap that the FARDC (DRC) and Monusco want to set for us," he said.

However according to unconfirmed reports from Western military sources, the rebels are holding back because of supply difficulties.

Ready to intervene

Army spokesperson Colonel Olivier Hamuli said on Tuesday that DR Congo's forces were gaining ground as they sought to "wipe out M23".

Monusco has so far not intervened in the conflict but on Tuesday warned its troops - which include an offensive brigade that has begun to deploy in the region - were on high alert and ready to intervene in case of attack.

The peacekeepers on Wednesday denied accusations that they had shelled Rwandan villages during the recent clashes between the Congolese army and M23.

General Joseph Nzabamwita of the Rwandan army had charged on Monday that Monusco troops targeted two villages, claiming that two shells, which landed without harming inhabitants, were nonetheless a "deliberate provocation".

But Monusco hit back at the accusations in a statement, saying: "Not a single shot was fired [by its troops] on 15 July, the date these 'bombardments' took place."

The UN statement called on Rwanda to submit any complaint to the enlarged Joint Verification Mechanism (JVM), a UN-backed panel of experts from Rwanda, DRC and other Great Lakes nations, that resolves border problems in the region.

In March, the UN Security Council decided to boost Monusco with an offensive brigade of 3 000 men who were given an unprecedented mandate to disarm rebel groups in the east of the country.

Monusco "has put its troops on high alert and stands ready to take any necessary measures, including the use of lethal force, to protect civilians," UN spokesperson Martin Nesirky announced in New York.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...