Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Congolese warlord Ntaganda to face ICC judges

10 February 2014, 09:20

The Hague - The International Criminal Court on Monday hears Congolese warlord Bosco Ntaganda to decide whether he should stand trial for murder, rape, sexual slavery and using child soldiers.

The man known as "The Terminator" is the founder of the M23 rebel group Kinshasa eventually defeated late last year, after an 18-month insurgency in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo's North Kivu region.

But in The Hague he is facing 13 counts of war crimes and five of crimes against humanity over abuses allegedly committed a decade ago when he was a warlord in Ituri, further north.

Prosecutors say at least 800 people were killed by Ntaganda's Patriotic Forces for the Liberation of Congo (FPLC), an ethnic Hema group battling rival Lendu militias for control of the mineral-rich area.

"Ntaganda planned and commanded scores of coordinated military attacks against the Lendu and other non-Hema tribes," prosecutors said in court documents.

Forces under Ntaganda's command "attacked villages with heavy weapons and systematically chased [out] the population... hunting house-to-house and into the bushes, burning all properties and looting", they said.

Ntaganda often visited camps where child soldiers under 15 years were trained and "he took part directly in attacks" with child soldiers.

At his first appearance in March last year, Ntaganda told judges: "I was informed of these crimes and I plead not guilty."

The judges have two months after Monday's hearing to decide whether the case against Ntaganda should proceed to trial.

 Co-accused was sentenced to 14 years

The first-ever suspect to voluntarily surrender to the ICC, Ntaganda walked into the US embassy in Rwanda's capital Kigali 11 months ago and asked to be sent to The Hague.

Observers said Ntaganda was possibly fearing for his life as a fugitive from a rival faction in the M23 rebel movement, although his motives remain unclear.

The ICC had issued two arrest warrants against Ntaganda - the first in 2006 and a second with additional charges in 2012.

The Rwandan-born Ntaganda is suspected over attacks on a number of Ituri towns over period of a year starting in September 2002.

Prosecutors accuse Ntaganda of leading the November 2002 attack on the gold mining town of Mongbwalu that lasted six days and left 200 villagers dead.

Born in 1973, Ntaganda is the fifth African in the ICC's custody.

His co-accused at the ICC, former FPLC commander Thomas Lubanga, was sentenced to 14 years in jail in 2012 on similar charges.

Ntaganda had managed to evade arrest after the tribunal's first warrant was issued mainly because he remained a powerful commander.

In 2006, he became a military leader for the CNDP, an ethnic Tutsi rebel group led by Laurent Nkunda.

The insurgency was ended by a peace deal that integrated the ex-rebels into the army. Ntaganda was made a general and began building a parallel command in the military.

He activated that network to form the M23 in 2012 when President Joseph Kabila signalled he was ready to comply with the ICC warrant and have him arrested.

The UN and other experts accuse Rwanda of being Ntaganda's master and pulling all the strings in the M23, an allegation Kigali has consistently denied.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...