Congo senate head hospitalised after Paris attack
02 January 2012, 14:06
Paris - The president
of the Democratic Republic of Congo's Senate has been admitted to a
Paris hospital after being attacked in the French capital, the French
Foreign Ministry said.
The ministry said on its website it was investigating the New
Year's Eve attack on Senate President Leon Kengo Wa Dondo while Kinshasa
demanded an explanation from French authorities.
The ministry said he had been in Paris on a private visit and had
not informed French authorities of his arrival. Security forces came to
his aid as quickly as possible and he had been admitted to a hospital
in the city, it added.
"An investigation is underway. We have passed this information on to
the Congolese authorities, and remain in contact with them," the
ministry said. However, it did not comment on his condition or the
possible motive of the attack.
Congo's President Joseph Kabila was sworn in on December 20 for a new term following his victory in a disputed election.
Opposition leader Etienne Tshisekedi has denounced the vote as
fraudulent and his supporters have staged violent protests against
Kabila in Brussels and London.
Congolese Foreign Minister Alexis Thambwe Mwamba said the French
ambassador in Kinshasa had been summoned by Congo's Foreign Ministry to
explain the incident.
"At government level, the situation is very serious," he told
France Info. "We consider that France has an obligation to ensure the
safety of Congolese officials travelling to Paris, of our
representatives and our diplomatic mission."