Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Congo broadens cordon around blast site

09 March 2012, 12:01

Brazzaville - Congo's army on Thursday widened a safety zone around the site of the weekend arms dump explosions that killed nearly 200 people amid reports that experts had begun work to make the area safe.

Troops at the edge of the zone were preventing local people who had been allowed in the previous day from passing.

One soldier on duty told AFP the cordon had been expanded while experts had begun tackling the munitions still unexploded after Sunday's devastating blasts. This information could not immediately be officially confirmed.

The series of blasts on Sunday at a depot in the east of the Republic of Congo's capital Brazzaville killed almost 200 people and wounded more than 1 300, leaving city hospitals overwhelmed.

Hundreds of houses around the arms depot were destroyed, leaving more than 5 000 people homeless.

In districts just outside the zone on Thursday, local people continued to look for their belongings in the ruins of their homes.

Many complained that looters had already made off with their possessions - and much of what had not been looted was smashed.

"I'm too late," said one man in his forties who did not want to be named. "They took everything of value. Thieves, thieves!"

"They took all our money," said a woman, who also wished to remain anonymous. "The prowlers come and take what they can put in their pockets: money, jewellery," she added.

On Wednesday, the Congolese Observatory of Human Rights denounced what it said was the government's "chaotic" management of the disaster.

Many of those made homeless by the explosions were sheltered in two churches, in an indoor market and in the city's stadiums, it said.

The Chadian president's office on Thursday announced it had sent meat, medical supplies and €760 000 to the Republic of Congo to help those hit by the disaster.


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...