Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Congo blast suspects held 'illegally'

08 May 2013, 16:15

Brazzaville - A lawyer representing 26 suspects held over last year's deadly blasts at a Congo munitions dump has accused authorities of keeping his clients in illegal detention by delaying their trial.

The powerful March explosions in Brazzaville, initially blamed on a short-circuit and fire, killed at least 282 people, injured about 2 300 others and left around 17 000 people homeless. Twenty-three of the suspects in the case are soldiers.

"A year later, the defendants have not been tried within the legal timeframe. Today, they are in illegal and arbitrary detention," defence lawyer Amedee Nganga told reporters at a press conference late Tuesday, noting authorities had initially planned a court process for January, but then pushed it back to April.

"The trial against the defendants seems to be difficult" because of procedural irregularities, he said.

Nganga said the bulk of the charges brought against them, including crimes against state security, "have nothing to do with the explosions".



Gambia announces withdrawal from ICC

26 October 2016, 09:03

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Four wards to elect new MCAs in b...

This follows the death of former office holders between April and August this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Justice Isaac Lenaola appointed a...

He replaces retired Justice Philip Tunoi.

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...