Congo bans face veils, sleeping in mosques
02 May 2015, 19:38
Brazzaville - The president of Republic of Congo's Islamic High Council says the government is banning women from being fully veiled in public to allow for the identification of people to prevent extremist violence.
El Hadj Djibril Bopaka said on Saturday that the Muslim population in Republic of Congo, which is a minority, is reacting positively to the measure.
He said the government will also ban non-residents from sleeping in mosques in order to encourage refugees to register with police.
Republic of Congo has a population of some 800 000 registered Muslims. The country is more than 90% Christian, and the remaining 10% includes Muslims and those who follow traditional animist beliefs.
The country has not suffered from extremist activities or the religious violence seen in neighbouring Cameroon and Central African Republic.