Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


China urges immediate ceasefire in S Sudan

06 January 2014, 18:58

Addis Ababa - China, the biggest investor in South Sudan's oil industry, called for an immediate ceasefire in the world's newest state on Monday as peace talks to end a three-week outburst of ethnic fighting faced delay.

On a visit to Ethiopia, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Beijing was deeply concerned by the unrest in South Sudan, which has killed more than a thousand people and forced the government to cut oil production by about a fifth.

"China's position with regards to the current situation in South Sudan is very clear," Wang told a news conference on the first stop of an African tour. "First, we call for an immediate cessation of hostilities and violence."

Wang was speaking in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, where peace talks aimed at thrashing out a ceasefire deal have been repeatedly delayed. Last month, Beijing also appealed to all sides in South Sudan to stop fighting.

China, Wang said, would do everything it could to help restore stability in South Sudan without giving further details and urged international powers to back the Ethiopian-led mediation efforts.

Three weeks of fighting, which began in the capital but spread beyond, often along ethnic faultiness, have pitted President Salva Kiir's SPLA government forces against rebels loyal to former vice president Riek Machar.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...