Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Cameroon: 25 Boko Haram suspects died in custody

14 March 2015, 17:19

Yaounde - Cameroon acknowledged on Friday that more than two dozen Boko Haram suspects died in custody late last year, but a government spokesperson denied the country's army was carrying out regular human rights abuses in its crackdown on the Nigerian Islamic extremist group.

The 25 suspects were found dead in their cell one day after being arrested in December, Communications Minister Issa Tchiroma Bakary said in a press conference on Friday evening. They were part of a group of 56 detainees, and the cause of their deaths is still being determined, he said.

"I can already state here that at this stage of investigation, no evidence has been established to corroborate that these persons were deliberately killed," Bakary said.

He added that a senior military official had been removed from his post and was being investigated over the deaths, though he did not identify this person by name.

In January, the Network of Human Rights Defenders in Central Africa, based in the capital, Yaounde, cited "reliable sources" in claiming that 50 Boko Haram suspects had suffocated to death in their cells before being buried in a mass grave.

The group's report accused the army of engaging in rights violations including torture "with impunity”.

Boko Haram has been fighting a nearly six-year insurgency against the Nigerian government, killing thousands and carrying out mass kidnappings, including of schoolgirls.

The conflict has taken on an increasingly international dimension in recent months.

Cameroon's northern region was repeatedly targeted by Boko Haram before the country signed up to participate in a multinational force that has dislodged the group from a score of northeastern Nigerian towns in recent weeks.

Nigeria acknowledged on Thursday that it is getting help from regional security operatives amid reports that South Africa and other foreign contractors are involved in the fight against Boko Haram.

Also on Thursday, Islamic State militants in the Middle East accepted a pledge of allegiance from Boko Haram, though it is unclear how the groups might be able to co-operate effectively.


- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...