Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Call for more UN boots on the ground in CAR

19 February 2014, 15:18

Bangui - Chad's president Idriss Deby on Tuesday called on the UN to commit more troops to the Central African Republic in order to end the crisis in the strife-torn country.

Speaking at a press conference after talks with Central Africa Republic's interim President Catherine Samba Panza in Ndjamena, Chad's capital, Deby warned that France and the African Union "cannot carry out their mission properly whatever their determination" as they did not have enough troops.

"We need more men, more means," said Deby, adding that only the UN could provide troops in large numbers.

Deby also urged the Central African government to negotiate with the ex-rebel Seleka movement.

"Contacts should be established with Seleka elements that returned to their region in the north," he said.

A mooted UN peacekeeping operation could involve nearly 10 000 troops but would need the green light of the so-far wary African Union and a UN Security Council resolution.

Currently there are 2 000 French troops and about 5 400 African troops already on the ground. In addition, 1 000 European Union troops are to be sent to the country.

Deby's comments came as it was claimed that 11 people had been killed in further clashes between African peacekeepers and fighters from the mainly Christian "anti-balaka" militia.

The MISCA African Union force said in a statement that a convoy of civilians under its escort was attacked by anti-balaka elements carrying firearms.

Eleven assailants were killed and 12 civilians injured in the incident in which the African Union troops acted in self-defence, it added.

Earlier, a gendarmerie source said the clashes at Cantonnier, near the border with Cameroon, had left eight people dead - two anti-balaka and six civilians.

The clash occurred at a checkpoint erected by the anti-balaka when a MISCA patrol refused to comply with the demands of the militiamen, the gendarmerie said.

At least one person also died late on Tuesday when MISCA peacekeepers from Chad opened fire on civilians as a group of Muslims fled the capital city under their escort near the international airport.

An AFP reporter saw a body lying on the roadside, with the MISCA peacekeepers leaving the area. Angry residents wielding knives said another person was killed nearby.

Going to war

Subduing the anti-balaka forces, who emerged last year to wreak havoc on the strife-torn country's Muslim minority, is one of the priorities for African and French troops sent to help restore order amid deadly chaos.

Interim President Samba Panza has vowed to "go to war" on the anti-balaka, who claim to seek vengeance for atrocities committed by a mainly Muslim rebel alliance, the Seleka, which temporarily seized power in March last year.

The Seleka coup plunged the country into chaos, unleashing a wave of Muslim-Christian violence that has left thousands dead. Hundreds of thousands of people have also been displaced by the brutal surge of killings, mutilations, rapes and looting.

With the intervention of French and African troops, the security situation is gradually improving in the southern capital Bangui but the unrest has continued unabated in other parts of the country.

Former Seleka rebels are blamed by local residents for killing at least 22 people in the western town of Bang since last Thursday, according to Florent Geel, the Africa director of the International Federation for Human Rights, who was visiting Bangui.

"The assailants looted administrative buildings and places of worship," Geel said.

However, other local sources said that the violence was carried out by men following Abdel Kader Baba Ladde, a Chadian former rebel leader who has been on the run since 2012.

His fighters fell back into western CAR and some were said to have joined the Seleka.

"On Sunday morning, we heard shots in several parts of Bang. Baba Ladde's men started firing in the air, putting people to flight," local farmer Martin Himi Dana told AFP by telephone.

"On the ground, we counted two people dead. They detained seven other people and forced them to leave with them. The bodies of these seven people were found yesterday with bullet wounds a few kilometres from Bang," Dana added.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...