Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


CAR fighters flee after surrendering

03 February 2014, 16:44

Bangui – At least 200 fighters in the strife-torn Central African Republic who surrendered to African Union troops at the weekend in a key northern town have fled, a military source said Sunday.

"Unfortunately they fled in the night. They've gone to Kaga Bandoro," an officer in the AU force known as MISCA told AFP.

Kaga Bandoro is about 160km north of Sibut, the town that former members of the mainly Muslim Seleka rebellion seized last week - causing terrified residents to flee - before MISCA troops recaptured it on Saturday.

It is thought the ex-rebels fled because of fear of revenge attacks by members of Christian militia known as "anti-balaka" (anti-machete), in a cycle of violence that has raged nearly unabated in the volatile country for 10 months.

The former French colony descended into chaos last March when the Seleka overthrew the government and installed one of their leaders, Michel Djotodia, as the country's first Muslim president.

Around 80 percent of the population is Christian, but it has a significant Muslim minority who live mainly in the north.

Djotodia failed to control his fighters, who began targeting Christians, prompting revenge attacks on Muslims amid reports of murder, mutilation, rape and looting by both sides.

By the time Djotodia was effectively ousted by regional leaders on 10 January for his failure to end the spiralling bloodshed, about a million people were displaced in a population of 4.6 million.

Violence has persisted despite the election of transitional President Catherine Samba-Panza last month with a mandate to pacify a country whose central government has always struggled to assert its authority beyond the capital.

Fighting has in fact escalated recently, even in Bangui, with Red Cross officials saying on Friday that they had collected 30 bodies after clashes in the capital that also left 60 people wounded.

In Sibut, the former rebels had initially agreed to be held by the African peacekeepers - a Gabonese contingent that entered the town on Saturday.

'We want secure camps'

But Colonel Abdelkader Djelani, a Seleka officer who was among those who fled Sibut, said security was a key issue for them, asserting that anti-balaka fighters had attacked Seleka members confined to camps in Bangui.

"We want solutions and really secure camps," Djelani said.

A Sibut resident told AFP by telephone that most residents who fled had returned home by late afternoon Sunday.

The African soldiers occupied most of Sibut's strategic locations, he said, while a MISCA officer said they had encountered no resistance as they went about securing the town.

Meanwhile the anti-balaka have begun handing in their weapons to MISCA, the officer said.

The taking of the northern town was the latest challenge faced by peacekeepers struggling to maintain order in a country the size of France with a long history of coups, attempted coups and army mutinies.

MISCA is supported by a French contingent of around 1 600 troops, and the European Union has committed a further 500 troops.

However, Samba-Panza has said more troops are needed to deal with the lawless interior, where few or no foreign troops are present.

The capture of Sibut came on the same day that MISCA received pledges of $132m from other African states.

A total of almost $315m has now been raised or pledged for the country, though AU officials said MISCA needs €304m just to keep going for one year.

Samba-Panza on Friday accused the former rebels of aiming to "destabilise her mandate" at a time when the government was calling for tolerance and national reconciliation.

The violence has created a humanitarian crisis, and the UN World Food Programme said in Geneva it urgently needed $95m to provide food assistance.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...