Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Burundi opposition ready to resume talks with government

03 June 2015, 18:31

Bujumbura - Opposition parties in Burundi said Wednesday they are ready to resume talks to find a solution to the weeks-long political crisis triggered by President Pierre Nkurunziza's controversial third term bid.

A group of 17 political parties and organisations issued a joint statement reaffirming their "commitment to continued dialogue" aimed at ensuring "free, calm, transparent and credible elections".

The opposition statement followed a summit on Burundi's political crisis at the weekend at which regional heads of state asked that presidential elections, due on June 26, be postponed until at least mid-July.

"For us the issue of Nkurunziza's third term remains non-negotiable, but as regional heads of state have formulated a framework for dialogue, we are ready to discuss this issue around the table," said Charles Nditije of the UPRONA party.

"There is no taboo issue," he said, adding that protests should continue in the meantime.

Unrest continued Wednesday with parliamentary elections due in two days.

At least one man was killed in a grenade attack during a night of sporadic gunshots after which security forces were deployed Wednesday throughout Bujumbura, which has seen more than a month of protests.

On Wednesday a rare anti-Nkurunziza protest was held outside the capital. Thousands of people, displaced since the 13-year civil war ended in 2006, demonstrated in the president's home province of Ngozi, in the north of the country.

But in Bujumbura police were out in force to block attempts by protesters to take to the streets, witnesses said, two days before the scheduled parliamentary election.

The slightest sign of a group gathering was met with automatic weapons fire and the use of tear gas, AFP correspondents said.

Nkurunziza hopes to win a third term in elections due later this month, but opponents say his candidacy is unconstitutional and goes against the 2006 Arusha peace deal that ended 13 years of civil war.

Burundi's electoral commission is meanwhile considering whether to hold the parliamentary vote on schedule on Friday.

Nkurunziza survived a coup attempt last month and has since ignored international pressure, including aid cuts, aimed at forcing him to withdraw, or at least delay the vote.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...