Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


British aid worker shot dead in South Sudan

18 February 2015, 15:01

Juba - A British aid worker in war-torn South Sudan was shot dead late on Tuesday in the capital Juba, colleagues said.

The Briton, who was working for an international aid organisation, was reportedly killed by a gunman who followed him into his compound in the capital Juba by a gunman who then fled, colleagues said, who asked not to be named.

Britain's foreign office confirmed that a British national had been killed.

"We can confirm the death of a British national in South Sudan. We stand ready to provide consular assistance to the family," a foreign office spokesperson told AFP.

South Sudan's police said they had no information on the killing.

Threats of expulsion

Aid workers have been targeted multiple times in the 14-month long war, including gunmen shooting down a UN helicopter and peacekeepers killed.

The country is awash with guns, and shots are often heard at night.

South Sudan is heavily dependent on international aid organisations for humanitarian aid, with the UN estimating that 2.5 million people are in a state of emergency or crisis, just steps short of famine.

Also read: US eases Sudan communications sanctions

International charities have warned of increased harassment, surveillance and threats of expulsion from the government. In August 2014, gunmen murdered at least six South Sudanese staff members of international aid agencies.

Numerous ceasefire agreements

Fighting broke out in South Sudan, the world's youngest nation, in December 2013 when president Kiir accused his sacked deputy Riek Machar of attempting a coup.

Over two dozen armed forces - including government soldiers and allied militia backed by Ugandan soldiers on one side, and a range of rebel factions on the other - have been battling it out for the last 14-months despite numerous ceasefire agreements.

No overall death toll for the war has been kept by the government, rebels or the UN, but the International Crisis Group estimates that at least 50 000 people have been killed.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...