Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Bomb blast near Egypt court kills 2, wounds 9

03 March 2015, 14:30

Cairo - Two people were killed and nine wounded, including seven policemen, in a bomb explosion Monday outside the Egyptian supreme court in Cairo, the health ministry said.

Ministry spokesperson Hossam Abdel Ghaffar told AFP that a 22-year-old man "died of injuries sustained in his backbone" in the attack.

Another man, aged 24, who had suffered head injuries and internal bleeding, also died of his wounds, he said.

Hospital officials earlier said that a man was in critical condition as the blast blew away part of his skull and brain.

Abdel Ghaffar said nine people, including seven policemen, were wounded in the attack.

Covered in blood

The explosion appeared to be aimed at a police checkpoint near the court, a hospital official said.

Two other minor bombs were set off in Cairo several hours later Monday, one outside a fire station and another in front of a police station, but there were no casualties, the Interior Ministry said on its Facebook page.

The latest attacks came a day after two civilians died in a bombing outside a police station in southern Egypt.

A worker in a nearby cafe said he ran out into the street after hearing a loud explosion.

"I found three people lying on the ground covered in blood."

Police sealed off the area and swept it with sniffer dogs as ambulances tried to reach the site through a crowd of onlookers.

Focused on security forces

Militants have regularly set off bombs in the capital, mostly targeting police, since the 2013 military overthrow of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi unleashed a deadly crackdown on his supporters.

It was the second such attack near the court after an explosion wounded 12 people in October last year.

Monday's explosion came days after a series of bombings in Cairo in which one person was killed.

Five bombs struck within hours, four of them near mobile phone service companies and a police station.

Most of the bombings in the capital have been rudimentary and caused no casualties.

But several have killed policemen, including two senior officers who died while trying to defuse bombs outside the presidential palace in June last year.

Attacks on embassies

Those bombs and several others that killed policemen in Cairo were claimed by the Ajnad Misr (Soldiers of Egypt) jihadist group.

The deadliest attacks since Morsi's overthrow have been launched by the Islamic State group's affiliate in Egypt, Sinai-based Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, which has killed scores of soldiers and policemen.

The organisation set up branches in the Nile Delta, targeting police headquarters in Cairo and other cities before a police crackdown last year.

Jihadists, who have focused their attacks on security forces, are also believed to be planning attacks on embassies of countries that have backed the former army chief and now President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, according to officials.

Sisi was elected to office in May 2014 pledging to eradicate the militants, but he has had limited success, especially against the Sinai insurgency.

On 29 January, simultaneous car bombings and mortar attacks on security headquarters in the peninsula killed at least 30 people, most of them soldiers.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
S Mbinya
How to get rid of cellulite at ho...

Proper diets and a healthy lifestyle are among the most effective natural remedies for cellulite. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Peter Kenneth is not a good leade...

A local activist has slammed the former Presidential candidate Peter Kenneth for only appearing during elections but going underground when the country has problems.  Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Javelin champion Julius Yego invo...

He is undergoing treatment at the Medihill hospital in Eldoret. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...