Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Boko Haram sustains 'heavy casualties': Nigerian military

09 January 2014, 16:30

Maiduguri - Nigeria's military on Thursday said they had killed as many as 38 Boko Haram fighters during counter-insurgency operations in the country's northeast.

Army spokesman Colonel Muhammad Dole said troops on patrol foiled a planned attack on local residents and a military camp in Damboa, Borno state, in the early hours, and inflicted "heavy casualties".

"While the encounter lasted, 38 Boko Haram terrorists were killed and some fled with various degrees of injuries," the officer said in an emailed statement, adding that three vehicles were destroyed.

One of the vehicles was found to have cylinders and improvised explosive devices. Weapons and ammunition, including machine guns, were also recovered, he said.

One soldier was killed and two others were injured in the encounter, he said.

"Combined ground troops and Nigerian Air Force aircraft are tactically pursuing the fleeing terrorists in the ongoing operation in the general area of Damboa and surrounding villages," Dole added.

Damboa is nearly 90 kilometres (55 miles) southwest of the Borno state capital, Maiduguri.

Boko Haram, deemed a terrorist organisation by the United States, has been fighting a bloody insurgency in Nigeria's north since 2009, attacking schools which follow a "Western" curriculum and churches as well as military and police targets.

Nigeria's government in May last year imposed a state of emergency in Borno and two other neighbouring states, Yobe and Adamawa, in an attempt to stem the violence, which has claimed thousands of lives.

Parliament approved the extension of special measures late last year, although the focus of attacks and military operations has largely shifted to remote, rural areas of Borno near the border with Cameroon.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...