Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Boko Haram claims barracks attack

24 March 2014, 17:35

Kano - Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for an attack on a key military barracks in the northeastern city of Maiduguri, in a new video obtained on Monday by AFP that warns of further bloodshed, including against civilians.

"We carried out the attacks in Maiduguri [on 14 March]," said a man dressed in white, wearing black headgear and carrying an assault rifle, claiming to be the group's leader, Abubakar Shekau.

The man appeared younger, thinner and with different mannerisms from older videos, which could prompt fresh questions about whether the militant leader, who had previously been reported killed, is still alive.

Shekau has been declared a global terrorist by the United States, which put a $7m bounty on his head. Nigeria has separately offered $300 000 for information leading to his capture or death.

He was reported to have been killed in a gun battle in the northeast between 25 July and 3 August last year, although a man resembling him has featured in a number of videos since then.

Nigeria's military has yet to confirm officially whether Shekau is still alive and defence spokesman Chris Olukolade has said that whoever was making the claims in the videos was immaterial.

"That's not the issue in this matter. They're all terrorists," he told AFP in a 14 March interview.

In the latest video, which was obtained via the same channels as previous statements, the man claiming to be Shekau speaks for 37 minutes in the local Hausa and Kanuri languages, as well as Arabic.

Footage then follows showing what appear to be heavily armed Boko Haram fighters arriving in pick-up trucks and firing on the Giwa barracks with assault rifles and rocket propelled grenades.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...