Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Belgian jailed for child rape in DRC

15 April 2015, 10:43

Kinshasa - An elderly Belgian has been sentenced to 20 years' jail for raping two girls, aged 11 and 13, in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the lawyer of one of the victims said on Tuesday.

Septuagenarian Jacques Francis Bellize, whose trial began in March, was sentenced on Monday "to a total of 20 years' imprisonment" and to pay damages of US$15 000 to each of the victims, the lawyer, Petrous Mutamba, told AFP.

Defence lawyer Patrick Mutombo said Bellize had pleaded guilty over one of the victims.

Bellize "is mentally ill, but the judges did not take into account the objections that we have raised: we asked for a psychiatrist's expertise but that has not been taken into account", Mutombo said.

"We asked... that he be expelled to serve his sentence at home but were refused," the lawyer said, adding "we will appeal to request a reduction of his sentence and deportation from the DRC".

'Repeat offender'

Bellize had been residing illegally in the DRC since 2011, according to the police. He is serving his sentence in Makala prison, the largest in Kinshasa, where he was held following his arrest.

Mutombo said that, Bellize, a retired nurse, married for a second time to a Congolese woman who is now deceased, and moved to Kinshasa in 2006.

Jeannine Mabunda, presidential advisor on sexual violence who brought the trial to the attention of the media, told reporters on 9 April that Bellize was a "repeat offender".

"Previous times when he was caught, he was expelled at the request of his embassy to his country of origin, but returned each time," she added.

Mutombo rejected the allegations, saying there had been negative publicity against his client.

The Belgian consulate in Kinshasa refused to comment when questioned by AFP.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...