Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


At least 50 killed in fresh wave of violence in CAR

25 June 2014, 18:43

Bangui – At least 50 people have been killed in three days in a fresh surge of sectarian violence in the Central African Republic, a peacekeeping officer said on Wednesday.

The violence was triggered by the killing of 17 Muslims at a camp in the central Bambari region on Monday, by gunmen claiming to be from a mostly Christian militia called the anti-balaka.

"Nearly 50 people have been killed since Monday during violence in the Bambari region and nearby villages," the officer from the African Union force MISCA told AFP. "Most of the victims were shot or stabbed to death."

Peacekeepers say there have been a series of tit-for-tat attacks in the region following the massacre.

The officer said that the violence has been carried out both by "uncontrolled individuals and by small groups", and that civilians were fleeing towards the cathedral, the archbishops palace, and local government buildings for safety.

"Apart from attacks aimed at civilians and the burning down of houses, there are also clashes that appear to be co-ordinated attacks by armed groups," both from Christian and Muslim militias, said the officer, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The Central African Republic has seen more than a year of unrest since the mainly Muslim Seleka rebel group seized power in a coup, unfurling a vicious cycle of violence with largely Christian militias.

Signs of torture

The fighting has left tens of thousands dead and about a quarter of the population of at least 4.5 million displaced.

Bambari, where the ex-Seleka rebels have established their new headquarters, is being closely watched by French soldiers from the Sangaris mission and African peacekeepers from the MISCA force, although they have not been able to contain the violence.

Fighting in a village outside Bambari in early June left at least 22 people dead, both Muslim and Christian, according to security officials and last week 10 bodies showing signs of torture were found in a river in the region.

In a report released on Tuesday, advocacy group the International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) said that "war crimes and crimes against humanity" continue to be carried out as the "conflict of impunity" rages in the former French colony.

"The international community must support African, French and soon UN forces in putting an end to these crimes, protect civilians and bring those responsible for these crimes to justice," FIDH president Karim Lahidji said.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on
 Twitter and like our Facebook page!



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
S Mbinya
How to get rid of cellulite at ho...

Proper diets and a healthy lifestyle are among the most effective natural remedies for cellulite. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Peter Kenneth is not a good leade...

A local activist has slammed the former Presidential candidate Peter Kenneth for only appearing during elections but going underground when the country has problems.  Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Javelin champion Julius Yego invo...

He is undergoing treatment at the Medihill hospital in Eldoret. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...