Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Angola quashes claims president Dos Santos has cancer

29 November 2013, 18:18

Luanda - Angola on Friday denied a report by Portuguese state TV that President Jose Eduardo dos Santos is undergoing cancer treatment, saying the long-serving 71-year-old is in good health.

The RTP report on Thursday said Dos Santos had checked in to the oncology unit of a clinic in Barcelona. The broadcaster later said on its website he was about to undergo surgery. Neither report cited any sources.

"The president is in Spain, but was not and is not interned in any hospital," the presidency said in a statement. "He is in good health and will return within days."

In power since 1979, Dos Santos is Africa's second longest-serving leader. He was elected for a new five-year term in August 2012, and has long kept observers guessing about who might succeed him.

More recently speculation has focused on the state of his health.

He flew to Barcelona from Luanda on Nov. 9 on a private visit. Earlier this year he spent 56 days on a private visit abroad, which Angolan news agency ANGOP said was to Spain, although it was not clear if he spent the whole trip there.

Dos Santos led his MPLA party to victory in a 27-year civil war against rebel group UNITA in 2002 and has since trounced his former war enemy in two elections.

While he presents himself as the guarantor of stability and rapid economic growth since the end of the war, opponents and rights groups have long accused him of doing too little to fight corruption and widespread poverty.

They also accuse him of suppressing human rights and using excessive violence to clamp down on dissent.

UNITA, now the main opposition party, on Saturday held the most significant rallies since the war, to protest the kidnap and possible murder of two activists missing since May 2012.

Police used teargas to disperse crowds in Luanda and detain nearly 300 demonstrators. Just hours before the protests, security forces shot dead a member of a smaller opposition party, CASA-CE.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave office if you can't handle ...

Leave office if you cannot handle corruption, an MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Give me the chance to unseat Uhur...

Give me the chance to send President Uhuru Kenyatta home, Kalonzo Musyoka tells Kenyans. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Explain your foreign trips since ...

Explain your foreign trips, Musalia Mudavadi tells President Uhuru Kenyatta. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
China to help Kenya fight high le...

China observed that if left unchecked, corruption could see the country degenerate into lawlessness. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Signs that he is seeing someone e...

When a man wants to be with you, he will always create time to be with you. Read more...