Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Angola denies $32 billion missing in state funds

18 January 2012, 14:34

Lisbon - Angola's government has denied a report by Human Rights Watch suggesting that $32 billion are missing from state funds thought to be linked to the state oil company Sonangol, state news agency Angop reported on Tuesday.

The New York-based watchdog on December 20 urged the government to account for missing funds spent or transferred from 2007 through 2010, citing an International Monetary Fund report revealing that funds were not properly documented in the budget.

Angop cited a statement from the government saying it denies the funds are missing.

Angola is Africa's second-largest oil producer after Nigeria. President Jose Eduardo dos Santos' government has long been accused of mismanaging oil revenues and doing too little to fight graft in a country in which an estimated two-thirds of a population of 18 million live on less than $2 per day.

Angop said that the government admitted there was a discrepancy in accounts but believed this was a result of insufficient records.

Oil revenues represent over 95 percent of the country's export income and around 45 percent of gross domestic product.

Human Rights Watch said in its December report that the missing funds raised serious questions about the government's efforts to increase transparency.

The rights group on Monday published on its website a letter it sent to Angola's Finance Minister Carlos Alberto Lopes urging the administration to account for the funds.

Angop said the government had started a full clarification of the discrepancy with the IMF. A working group had been set up to present fiscal, monetary, foreign exchange and balance of payments statistics in coordination with the fund, it said.

"The government laments the sensationalism with which this matter was approached by some news organisations," Angop quoted the government as saying in the statement.

"The speculation and accusations of an alleged disappearance of missing funds are part of habitual campaigns from some sectors in their desperate attempt to discredit Angola's leaders and institutions."



Join in the conversation on News24 Kenya’s Facebook page.

Get the latest news by following us on Twitter


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
4 ways to handle your cheating ma...

He is cheating. How do you handle him?

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Why do men choose second wives?

Why do men choose to have second wives?

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
Wizkid set for twin Kenyan shows

Wizkid is back in Kenya. For two shows.

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
Udada women's festival begins in ...

The Udada women's festival has arrived in Nairobi.

Submitted by
Uhuru pardons 2747 death row conv...

President Uhuru Kenyatta has pardoned a number of death row convicts, sending them to life sentences instead. Read more...

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
WATCH: Kaka Sungura arrested in t...

Was Kaka Sungura arrested in town?