Abuja blast suspect extradited to Nigeria
16 July 2014, 18:50
Abuja - A man alleged to be the co-mastermind of April's deadly Abuja bus station bombing was extradited to Nigeria today, according to police.
The attack, which was claimed by Boko Haram, killed at least 75 people, making it the deadliest ever bombing in the Nigerian capital.
Nigerian police said Aminu Sadiq Ogwuche had been extradited from Sudan.
"The terror fugitive who had long since been arrested in Sudan following an international red notice issued for his arrest" had arrived at the Abuja airport, police said in a statement.
Interpol "Red Notices" are typically issued for wanted persons with a view to seeking their extradition.
Ogwuche arrived in the Sudanese capital late last year to study Arabic at the International University of Africa, but was in Nigeria earlier this year, according to a source in Khartoum.
He was detained on May 13 as he tried to get a visa from the Turkish embassy in central Khartoum.
Boko Haram, which said it was responsible for the April 14 bombing in the Abuja suburb of Nyanya, has been blamed for a string of brazen attacks in the country, including the mass kidnapping of more than 200 schoolgirls.