Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


9 DRC soldiers killed by Rwandan Hutu rebels

08 April 2015, 11:46

Goma - Nine Congolese soldiers were killed in an ambush by Rwandan Hutu rebels in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, a military source said on Tuesday, over a month after the army launched a sweeping offensive against the militia.

The attack by the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) happened on Monday afternoon in eastern Masisi district of North Kivu, said Major General Leo Mushale, who commands forces in the northeast of the country.

Three officers were among the dead, including commander of Masisi district Colonel Raphael Bawili, Mushale said at a press conference in Goma, the capital of North Kivu.

"The enemy was able to carry out this ambush because a number of Congolese continue to collaborate with them," said the general.

"We have not yet eradicated the FDLR but they are being neutralised by our forces and we ask the public not to collaborate with the enemy," he added.


In late February DRC forces launched a fresh offensive against rebels active in the restive eastern provinces of North and South Kivu.

The FDLR, a militia of Rwandan Hutu rebels, has been active in DRC since crossing over the border from Rwanda after the 1994 genocide of Tutsi people there and the subsequent seizure of power by a Tutsi-led rebel faction.

Some of the Hutu militia's older commanders and soldiers are wanted by international courts for their alleged role in the massacre, which claimed the lives of at least 800 000 people in Rwanda, mainly from the Tutsi minority.

Since the launch of the operation five weeks ago, the army claimed to have "neutralised" a few hundred rebels, according to General Mushale, out of a fighting force of around 2,000.

Mushale confirmed only that 13 rebels had been killed and refused to give the total number of army losses.

In late March, the UN security council voted to cut 2 000 troops from the 20 000-strong peacekeeping force in the country, despite calls by Kinshasa for UN troops to handover responsibility for security to the country's army.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
4 ways to handle your cheating ma...

He is cheating. How do you handle him?

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Why do men choose second wives?

Why do men choose to have second wives?

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
Wizkid set for twin Kenyan shows

Wizkid is back in Kenya. For two shows.

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
Udada women's festival begins in ...

The Udada women's festival has arrived in Nairobi.

Submitted by
Uhuru pardons 2747 death row conv...

President Uhuru Kenyatta has pardoned a number of death row convicts, sending them to life sentences instead. Read more...

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
WATCH: Kaka Sungura arrested in t...

Was Kaka Sungura arrested in town?