Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


6 killed in South Sudan fighting

05 January 2015, 08:20

Juba - At least six civilians have died in fighting in South Sudan in the past two days, rebels said, and both rebels and the government accused one another of planning a return to full-blown conflict after a lull in the rainy season.

Civil war has killed more than 10 000 people in the world's newest state, reopened deep fault lines among ethnic groups, caused more than one million to flee and driven the country of 11 million closer to famine.

Diplomats and analysts have warned there could be a spike in fighting as the dry season approaches, after relative peace in the rainy season.

Violence erupted in December 2013 in South Sudan after months of political tension between President Salva Kiir and his sacked deputy and rival, Riek Machar. The conflict pits Kiir's Dinka ethnic group against Machar's Nuer.

South Sudan military spokesperson Philip Aguer said government forces were expecting another round of attacks in oil-producing Unity State, and Upper Nile State, which experienced fighting in recent days.

He said fighters allied to Machar had staged attacks on Saturday near Bentiu, Unity state's capital.

"The SPLA forces in those areas are monitoring preparation of Riek Machar forces to wage attacks possible within this coming week," Aguer told Reuters.

Also read: Rebels boycott South Sudan peace talks

Rebel military spokesperson Lul Ruai Koang on Saturday accused government troops, police and pro-government militia of a series of attacks in the past two days in Unity and Upper Nile States in which at least six civilians were killed.

The government denied that it had caused any deaths.

Peace initiatives by the regional group of nations, the Intergovernmental Authority for Development (Igad), have so far failed to end the conflict.

Igad said last week it was also concerned with the resumption of fighting in the two states.

"Igad Monitoring and Verification Teams have been instructed to investigate these latest incidents and determine responsibility for the violations," it said in a statement on 1 January.

Fighting has cut oil production by about a third to an average 160 000 barrels per day (bpd) since fighting broke out, from 245 000 bpd just before the violence erupted.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
What do men mean when they say th...

As much as men think they are the ones confused by relationships, they have a better idea of it than most women actually do. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Rift Valley leaders to hold meeti...

Rift Valley leaders will hold a meeting to decide DP William Ruto's place in the Jubilee Party following emergence of Peter Kenneth as a main challenger to his place within the current structure. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto, not Kenneth the main man...

DP William Ruto will be the main man for the Jubilee Party in 2022, Kiraitu Murungi insists. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Jittery times for DP Ruto as Kenn...

Peter Kenneth is a genuine threat to DP William Ruto's 2022 State House bid... and the DP's allies know it. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will name those sabotaging DP R...

A Jubilee Party Governor says that he will name and shame those within Jubilee he says are undermining DP William Ruto's 2022 State House plans. Read more...