Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


56 killed in South Sudan bus crash

29 September 2014, 17:07

Juba - At least 56 people were killed Monday when a bus travelling from South Sudan to Uganda crashed into a truck, doctors said.

"The police first brought something like 20 bodies... all in all they brought 56," said Xaviour Okadi, a doctor at the main hospital in South Sudan's capital Juba.

The crash is one of the worst recent accidents in South Sudan.

The bus crashed shortly after dawn on Monday, on the main highway south to Uganda, some 25 kilometres (15 miles) from Juba.

Police said the bus and truck collided head-on while crossing a bridge.

Many of those killed were Ugandans, Okadi said, adding that around 15 were South Sudanese.

An AFP reporter witnessed dozens of dead bodies in the hospital's mortuary, many with wounds to the head, or with broken limbs.

Read also: WATCH: New footage from Lagos tragedy

Ugandan traders play a key role in the South Sudan capital, many running small businesses or trading stores.

The Ugandan army is also supporting government troops in South Sudan, battling rebel forces in a more than nine-month long civil war.

The highway to Uganda is one of the few tarred roads in South Sudan, which is grossly underdeveloped after decades of war.

Fighting broke out again in the oil-rich country, also the world's youngest nation, in December 2013 following a clash between troops loyal to President Salva Kiir and his former deputy Riek Machar.

The war spread rapidly across the country and has been marked by widespread human rights abuses and atrocities by both sides.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!



Gambia announces withdrawal from ICC

26 October 2016, 09:03

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Four wards to elect new MCAs in b...

This follows the death of former office holders between April and August this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Justice Isaac Lenaola appointed a...

He replaces retired Justice Philip Tunoi.

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...