Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


51 killed in DRC police sweep against gangs – report

18 November 2014, 10:39

Kinshasa - Human Rights Watch says in a new report that police in Democratic Republic of Congo's capital conducted dozens of extrajudicial killings in a three-month crackdown against organised crime gangs.

The rights group says "Operation Likofi" launched last November aimed to quash an upsurge in armed robbery and other crimes by small gangs known as kuluna.

In the report released on Tuesday, Human Rights Watch says police behind the sweep killed at least 51 young men and teenage boys — at times when they were unarmed, outside their homes, or in open markets, for intimidation. Five were aged from 14 to 17 years old, and nearly three dozen more people disappeared, it said.

Human Rights Watch urged international donors and the United Nations to "publicly and privately" pressure DRC into arresting and prosecuting those responsible.

Also read: 38 killed in DRC ethnic violence, says govt

It said General Celestin Kanyama, said to be the commander of the operation, should be suspended pending a judicial probe of crimes associated with the operation.

DRC, a former Belgian colony the size of Western Europe, suffered through back-to-back wars between 1998 and 2002. Its restive east remains home to a myriad of armed groups vying for control of the region's vast mineral resources. While the capital of Kinshasa is far from there, the city has long faced criminal — and at times, politically affiliated — gang violence.

During the sweep against the kuluna, Kinshasa police conducted numerous raids, and innocent victims were at times mistakenly targeted, Human Rights Watch said. Authorities led a broad cover-up such as by issuing gag orders to doctors, threatening journalists, and denying relatives access to bodies of their loved ones, the report said.

The report was based on interviews with relatives, police and government officials and others, Human Rights Watch said. While Congolese authorities told the rights group that some officers had been convicted, its report said six magistrates had indicated that only convictions for lesser crimes such as extortion were meted out — none for killings or abductions.

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Peter Kenneth will not run for Pr...

He clarified that he will not run for Presidency in 2017 as he supports Uhuru Kenyatta’s re-election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Exams should not have political g...

He also said that school properties must not ‘carry any political portraits’. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Matatu crew drugs female passenge...

Hours after the story was circulated on social media Sunday, the crew was traced at Dagoretti and arrested. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
How to get rid of cellulite at ho...

Proper diets and a healthy lifestyle are among the most effective natural remedies for cellulite. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Peter Kenneth is not a good leade...

A local activist has slammed the former Presidential candidate Peter Kenneth for only appearing during elections but going underground when the country has problems.  Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Javelin champion Julius Yego invo...

He is undergoing treatment at the Medihill hospital in Eldoret. Read more...