50 die after drinking poisoned beer
11 January 2015, 17:50
Maputo - Health authorities in Mozambique say 52 people have died after drinking a contaminated traditional beer.
Alex Albertini, the health director in the northeastern Songo district, said on Sunday that 51 more people were admitted to hospital after drinking the brew at a funeral on Saturday.
Albertini said an additional 146 people have reported to hospitals for examination in the Chitima and Songo areas, both in the northeastern Tete province.
Carle Mosse, provincial health director, said blood samples and samples of the traditional beer were being sent to the capital Maputo to be tested.
Pombe, a traditional Mozambican beer, is made from millet or corn flour. Authorities believe that the drink was poisoned with crocodile bile during the course of the funeral.
Police are investigating the incident.