50+ dead in Nigeria Islamist attack on churches
30 June 2014, 16:11
Kano - More than 50 people were killed in the latest attack blamed on Boko Haram Islamists which targeted churches in Nigeria's embattled northeast, a Borno state government official said on Monday.
"So far we have 54 dead," said the official, who requested anonymity, of the raid on four villages just outside Chibok, where Boko Haram kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls in April.
A local leader in Chibok, who also asked that his name be withheld, said residents had discovered at least 47 bodies in the surrounding bushland, but told AFP the search was ongoing and figures were still being collated.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!