Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


36 hacked to death in DRC

08 December 2014, 08:15

Goma - Suspected Ugandan rebels in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo hacked 36 people to death with machetes and axes, authorities said on Sunday, as an outcry grew against the failure of the army and UN peacekeepers to stop a repeat of such massacres.

The overnight attack in the area of Beni in North Kivu province was the latest in a series of mass slaughter blamed on the mainly Muslim rebels who have terrorised the region for two decades.

More than 200 people have been killed since October in attacks in the area, which follow the similar pattern - the assailants arriving at night armed with machetes and slaughtering residents, including women and children.

Town chief Jean-Baptiste Kamabu, reached by telephone from the North Kivu capital Goma, said 36 people were killed.

Two others were wounded and another two were abducted, he said.

Celestin Ngeleka, spokesperson of a military operation against armed groups in the region, confirmed the death toll after troops carried out a search for victims.

"We deplore the carnage of 36 compatriots," he said.

The mainly Muslim rebels known as the Allied Democratic Forces and National Army for the Liberation of Uganda (ADF-NALU) have terrorised villagers in the border between DR Congo and Uganda since being driven out of their homeland in 1995.

They have been blamed for pillaging villages and forcing locals to fight for them for years, funding themselves from the lucrative smuggling of wood.

In January, the Congolese army and soldiers of the United Nations mission in the country, MONUSCO, began an offensive against the ADF-NALU, the last major insurgent group active in the region.

At the time, they thought they had severely weakened them.

But the rebels have bounced back since the death in August from a heart attack of Congolese General Jean-Lucien Bahuma, a brilliant tactician credited for masterminding operations that led to the total defeat of another rebel movement known as the M23.

'Extremely shocked' 

An NGO based in Beni, Civil Society of North Kivu, called on the Congolese army and UN peacekeepers to increase their efforts to restore order to the region.

It said in a statement it was "extremely shocked by yet another massacre".

Also read: 9 killed in twin bomb attack in Somalia

Residents have repeatedly denounced what they see as passivity from DR Congo troops and UN peacekeepers in the face of the massacres.

Even though the region is under curfew after dark, it appears that assailants had been mostly able to carry out the series of massacres without having to fight off Monusco or Congolese forces.

Beni is an important commercial centre and a stronghold of the Nande community, whose leaders rallied behind a militia supported by Uganda during the second Congo war from 1998 to 2003.

Martin Kobler, who heads Monusco, condemned the attack, and said in a statement released on Sunday that it was of the utmost urgency to ramp up joint action with Congolese troops in order to prevent such attacks.

Just last week, he had said last week that "we could reduce our presence" in the country next year if the government's authority was restored.

A delegation from UN headquarters in New York "has come to see how Monusco could reduce its forces, because the security situation in many places is getting better," Kobler said in an online chat session.

Monuscois one of the biggest peacekeeping missions in the world.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Prepare for DP Ruto fight in 2022...

An MP has warned that the Kalenjin Community will not stand back and watch as DP Ruto is duped ahead of the 2022 polls. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be careful who you deal with, DP ...

Watch out for your political future, DP William Ruto has been warned. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Kikuyu 2022 vote will go to Peter...

The 2022 Kikuyu vote will go to Peter Kenneth, a Rift Valley Governor has warned DP William Ruto. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
CORD threatens to boycott 2017 po...

The CORD Coalition says that it will be forced to boycott the 2017 elections if there is no new voter register in place by the time. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Disgraced Jeptoo stripped of 2014...

Organizers of the Boston Marathon are stripping Kenyan runner Rita Jeptoo of her 2014 victory as part of the athlete's newly extended doping ban. Read more...