25 killed in Nigerian shootout
26 April 2013, 14:48
Kaduna - Twenty-five people were killed in a clash between
Nigerian security forces and suspected Islamist Boko Haram militants who robbed
a bank and attacked a police station in north-eastern Yobe state, police said
The military had earlier said seven people were killed in
the shootout on Thursday.
"Five policemen and 20 gunmen have been confirmed dead
and over nine million Nigerian naira ($56 600) was carted away from a
commercial bank," Yobe State police commissioner Sanusi Rufai said in a
statement, adding that the loot had been recovered.
The Boko Haram sect and offshoots such as the al-Qaeda-linked
Ansaru, as well as associated criminal networks, have posed the main threat to
the stability of Africa's top energy producer since a 2009 amnesty for
militants in the oil-producing Niger Delta calmed violence there.
Thursday's shootout followed a major military assault on a
Boko Haram hideout by allied forces from Nigeria, Chad and Niger last week that
killed dozens of people and may have been one of the deadliest since the Islamists
launched an uprising in 2009.
The Nigerian Red Cross is trying to check reports from
locals that 187 people died in that battle. The military says the figure is
inflated, but it has barred any access to aid agencies wanting to investigate.